Start a Conversation

Unsolved

BJ

3 Posts

April 27th, 2020 15:00

Clone save sets from LTO1 to LTO6

A friend of mine wants me to copy 4 x LTO1 Networker tapes to a single LTO6 tape (he doesn't have an LTO6 drive).

I'm a NW newbie so I've downloaded and installed a trial copy of NW (version 7.5), installed 4 x LTO1 and 1 LTO6 drives and I've indexed his tapes using the scanner command. I've labeled the LTO6 tape using the GUI (assigning it to the "default clone" pool), mounted the 4 source and 1 target tapes, and have tried cloning all his 2 dozen save sets by going to Media/Savesets in the GUI, selecting them, right-clicking, selecting "clone" and choosing the "default clone" pool. But nothing happens. No complaints, no request to mount any volumes, etc, nothing.

Elsewhere I've seen people remark that the GUI is a bit flaky and it's best to use the command line. Is there a straightforward way to copy the savesets from the LTO1 tapes onto the LTO6? Preferably reading from more than one drive at a time?

The goal is for him to have a backup of all his LTO1 data on an LTO6.

3 Posts

April 27th, 2020 15:00

.. and I'm doing this on Windows 2012R2 on ESXi 5.5 using PCI passthrough for the SCSI and SAS HBAs, which are appearing as they should (along with all 5 tape drives) in the device manager, so I don't think that's an issue as NW is listing them in the Devices/devices section of the GUI.

2.4K Posts

April 27th, 2020 22:00

First of all - why do you run a NW software which is about 10 years old? - Just because your friend has it installed? - If he still uses NW for new backups, it's time to upgrade.

You could use the command line with added verbosity. Use

nsrclone -vv -b "Default clone" volume_name

or

nsrclone -vv -b "Default clone" -S -f file_containing_the_save_set_list

Let me add that running parallel clone processes does not really make sense:

• You would need to run 4 commands in parallel
  • Your output will a tape with multiplexed data. This speeds up the cloning process but will result in slow recoveries later. You better loose time during cloning.
No Events found!