Has anyone experienced corrupt files after performing a massive restore using networker? I experienced several Word Document files that would open with just character blocks. The original data on the old server was just fine. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
NetWorker Version: 7.5.2
I don't recall ever seeing this before. Have you verified the size of the restored file and the size of the original file match? Does this affect multiple files or just the one? Have you tried the restore again and had the same results? If so have you tried restoring from an earlier backup of the same file with similar results? Have you tried opening the file with a text editor and seen whether or not the body of the document is visible within the contents of the file?
Thanks for responding to my question.
Have you verified the size of the restored file and the size of the original file match? - Yes, the files match in size.
Does this affect multiple files or just the one? - Multiple
Have you tried the restore again and had the same results? I am working on this now. I am trying to duplicate the enviroment.
If so have you tried restoring from an earlier backup of the same file with similar results? - Still testing this one.
Have you tried opening the file with a text editor and seen whether or not the body of the document is visible within the contents of the file? - Not visible at all. Not even through notepad.
I am using NetWorker for a series of file server migrations. Some of the restores take up to two days to complete. Once I have restored the bulk of the data with NetWorker, I then use Microsoft Richcopy to bring over the updated files. I have been successful in performing this task before so I am not sure what happened this time around. I am going through the entire process again to see if I run into the same issue.
Any suggestions would be great.
This is a confusing one Jason! I'm not sure whether this may be a factor as I can't recall how Networker would behave, but is it possible there is some kind of encryption on the file either on the file system or on the backup?
was the backup done with any type of encryption?
Using the wrong encryption key during restore would cause the restored file to be zero length.
The files were not encrypted but they were compressed. I am not sure if that makes a difference here.
I have been using this tool RichCopy for years to copy file changes.
I follow this documentation provided by someone on how to use RichCopy properly.
This combination of a NetWorker restore and using RichCopy to grab the changed files seemed to work very well in our previous projects.
I have been working with Postini support the past few weeks and we discovered the issue was on the Avamar side. There is a bug in the appliance that restores corrupt MS Office documents. If you are running an Avamar version 126.96.36.1999, you should get your system patched immediately by contacting EMC support.
Avamar Original Version: 188.8.131.529
Avamar New (Patched) Version: 5.0.3-29
Let me know if I need to supply a case number to this thread. Thanks