Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 19th, 2012 07:00

Custom Script to delete files after backups

Hi Everyone,

For some of our SQL servers, I am sweeping backup dumps instead of backing the databases up directly (it's a political thing).  What I'd like to do is have a script run that deletes the contents of the backup directory only after a successful backup.  Right now I have a script that runs and deletes the contects of the directory, but it runs the delete command whether or not the backup completes successfully.  For example, last night there was a VSS issue on the server i was trying to back up, so I only backed up about 20GB out of 250GB and everything was deleted by the script.

Here is the current script:

@echo off

ECHO =====NetWorker SAVE SET COMMAND=======

SHIFT

SET arg=%0

:loop

SHIFT

IF %0.==. GOTO save

SET arg=%arg% %0

GOTO loop

:save

"C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin\save.exe" %arg%

del /s /q "D:\MSSQL10.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\Backup\*.*"

echo Successful

What do I need to do to make it so the del command only executes after a successful backup?  Using NetWorker 7.6.3.  This might be a good time to mention I'm not awesome at scripting

Thanks,

Jon

16 Posts

June 11th, 2012 12:00

I wanted to chime back in on this.  I've worked out a script that will delete files in directories only after a successful backup.  This will work for Windows only:

@echo off

ECHO =====NetWorker SAVE SET COMMAND=======

SHIFT

SET arg=%0

:loop

SHIFT

IF %0.==. GOTO save

SET arg=%arg% %0

SET delpath=%0

GOTO loop

REM These are the save commands that run the required

REM NetWorker backup commands.

:save

REM Note: Enter correct path to your NetWorker bin

REM directory (line below is default path)

"C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin\save.exe" %arg%

IF %ERRORLEVEL% EQU 0 (GOTO success) ELSE (GOTO failure)

:success

del /s /q %delpath%\*.*

echo Successful, contents of %delpath% deleted.

GOTO end

:failure

echo An error was found.  Contents of %delpath% not deleted.

:end

16 Posts

March 22nd, 2012 14:00

Really?  Nobody has done anything like this?  C'mon community, I know you can do better than that!

14.3K Posts

April 30th, 2012 09:00

imasock wrote:

Really?  Nobody has done anything like this?  C'mon community, I know you can do better than that!

In 21st century most people use online backup so they do not need to mess around with scripts. There are several ways how to do this, but I would suggest to include del command to be part of SQL dump instead.  That way, old dump stays there until new one is ready to go (unless those overwrite each other already where in such case you do not need delete action at all).

May 2nd, 2012 07:00

One more thing, you are using NMM so will not have NMSQL type savesets (MSSQL:)

May 2nd, 2012 07:00

You need to add into your script a test to check the last backup, something like running an mminfo:

mminfo -q "savetime>1 day ago,name=MSSQL:,client=clientname,incomplete=false" -r {some fields}

Then querying the results you get out until you are happy what you have is deleteable - when you are using the delete command in a script it is sensible to put as many checks in as you can to make really really sure you have backed your data up before deleting it.

50 Posts

May 3rd, 2012 09:00

Did you try "savepnpc"...it allows you to do pre/post commands (i.e. before/after a backup)

116 Posts

May 11th, 2012 03:00

On UNIX i test the return code from the actual save command.  If its not return code 0 then dont delete anything and alert out for investigation

Assume windows allows the same type of thing?

13 Posts

May 11th, 2012 07:00

Yes..that works. But problem with doing a "push" backup (client initiated), is that you dont know if tape drive is

available, tape media is available etc. That's why savepnpc is there. it creates a small "script" which you can modify to what you want.

In my case, I use it to backup MYSQL database. using the savepnpc "script" , I stop the slave threads, take backup and once backup is done, restart slave threads. This is all done in 3 lines.

116 Posts

May 11th, 2012 07:00

I dont know much about your configuration.  In an enterprise tuned setup i would assume that devices and media were available. Its  still possible to check this client side via script.

I havent heard great things about savepnpc over the years but maybe its better now.

No Events found!