Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 15th, 2010 08:00

DPA menu issue

I've just been in to delete a menu item in DPA, I selected the menu item and clicked the icon, I was asked to confirm if I wanted to delete it and it deleted the whole menu, everything!  There was no undo option so I didn't save it but left the Menu item but when I returned it was still not available.  My colleague has DPA open in another session and he is able to view the menu but not able to save it.

Is there anything I might be missing that could bring the menu back?

34 Posts

December 15th, 2010 22:00

Hi,

I've been down this path too, not once but twice. If memory serves me right, I ended up recreating the whole menu both times. The menu editor could be (much) more clear on the delete function. I would make sure to take a print screen from the other computer so you have all information for recreating the menu, and then hope for some DPA expert turn up here and explain the undo feature ( or read this so they know there needs to be one! )

Good luck!

Rickard

December 16th, 2010 05:00

Thanks Rickard, I guess it is a "known" issue then.  Fortunately my colleague had a RDC session running which the menu was visible still but we were unable to save it from.  I took control of his RDC session so that I had the two sessions running side by side and was able to cut and paste the elements in the menu.  Painful but not as painful as it could have been.

I wonder if EMC have anything to add here?

December 16th, 2010 08:00

Thanks Allan

334 Posts

December 16th, 2010 08:00

Hi David,

I am researching this and your other question.  I'll let you know what I find shortly.

Allan

December 17th, 2010 00:00

I've a side question here that hopefully someone can answer that relates to the forums - what is the difference between

ECN > Support Forums > NetWorker

and

ECN > Connect > NetWorker Online

I intended to place this in the Networker forum but I didn't seem to have any rights to be able to do it with either this account (which I know cannot create discussions on the forum) and my other account which raised the issue here.  It seems a little confusing to me to have two similar forums...

334 Posts

December 17th, 2010 05:00

Hi David,

The Support forum is for asking your typical support questions.  This forum is really aimed at talking to product management and other NetWorker experts about product direction, learning about product releases, best practices, user groups, etc.  You know, all the important stuff that falls outside of your typical support question. 

The support forum and this one are in contact with each other though.  If we do get support questions over here- we'll let them sit a day or two for an answer  and then move it over for you if nobody replies.  That is the state you questions were kind of in.

One last thing you'll be happy to hear.  DPA currently has a forum like this in stealth mode.  Once they roll it out, you'll have a place for DPA specific questions.

I hope this helps.

Allan

December 17th, 2010 07:00

Thanks Allan, I've bookmarked the support forum and I can see there is a link to start a new discussion on the page now.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 31st, 2010 09:00

Hi David, Rikard,

When trying to re-add the menu, have you tried going back into your  'Menu Editor' to make sure that the menu is still in tact and readily available, and then in 'View Editor' to make sure that it is not present in your previous View? I have seen DPA be fussy about such things, but in the past I have been able to re-add from the hierarchical editor from where it was missing. Let us know.

Regards,

Randy 

Randy

The menu disappeared from all views and we had to recreate it.  However, my colleague had another DPA session open at the same time and we was able to access the menu there although if he saved it was not available in other session; I took control of his terminal session and was able to recreate the menu first by copying what I saw, then by cutting and pasting the menu elements in.  It took a while but it could have been much more painful if my colleague had not been logged in.

Regards

David

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

Interesting. I will take what we have learned from this situation, and create a tech tip for it. I will also speak with the DPA community at large to see if there are some fail-safes that we can use as best practice to avoid these situations, as it sounds like you guys lucked out by having an open instance without updating the datamine and config databases respectively!

Happy New Year!

Randy

December 31st, 2010 10:00

"Lucked out"?  Is that a technical way of saying we encountered a bug that screwed things up?  I think it is more like (1) DPA failed to delete what was highlighted as selected and (2) DPA did not have any undo functionality for a (major) deletion.

Happy New Year!

David

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

December 31st, 2010 10:00

Without seeing with my own eyes and from your desription, it sounds like your co-worker had an open instance in memory without updating its link to the datamine & config, (separate from yours) without saving or closing out the instance. As a result, it still retained its current config without changing the database's current tuples, however, that is just my opinion (no way to know for sure now).

December 31st, 2010 11:00

My colleague was not editing the menu at the same time as me, he was just running some reports.

No Events found!