Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

BN

October 29th, 2014 07:00

DR Questions - NW 8.1, DD, VMware

We have a Networker Data Zone at HQ.  In it is a NW Server (VM), a NW Storage Node (Physical), NMC (VM), a few physical clients, and vCenter with an EBR appliance to backup my VM's.   The DD is a 2500 and via Networker it clones backups to a DD2500 at our remotes DR site.

I have read that a Networker Data Zone can only have one Networker server.

I want to deploy another Networker Storage Node at the DR site, so it can access the DD2500 there.  Do I build another NMC VM there and leave it off, along with another Networker Server left off so I can use them in the event a weather disaster takes out my HQ site?  I know the NW server will have a different host id so I will need to get the licenses moved off the original server and applied to the new DR server...but how is that done when the original server is floating in a farm field 30 miles away?

Sounds crazy, I know.  The end result is we need to be able to restore VM's at the DR site that have been cloned over to the DD2500 at the DR site...I suppose I could use storage vMotion to move my NW server when it starts looking bad?  What's the best practice?

Thank you

14.3K Posts

October 29th, 2014 08:00

> I have read that a Networker Data Zone can only have one Networker server.

Definition on NW datazone IS backup server and its associated infra (including storage nodes and clients).  Therefore each backup server is one datazone.

If you have vMotion server, make it HA and have devices from DR DD attached there.

October 29th, 2014 09:00

Is there a Best Practices guide for working with a DR situation and Networker 8.x?  We don't have any tape drives, we only have DD2500's for backup targets and replication/cloning targets via Networker. (We are not using DD replication)

I have looked in the doc downloads and I don't see what I need.  Maybe it's a whitepaper?

14.3K Posts

Brian wrote:

Is there a Best Practices guide for working with a DR situation and Networker 8.x?  We don't have any tape drives, we only have DD2500's for backup targets and replication/cloning targets via Networker. (We are not using DD replication)

I have looked in the doc downloads and I don't see what I need.  Maybe it's a whitepaper?

I think what you are after is architectural guide which as such does not exist in such form.  White paper might exist, but I didn't check.  You don't need tape drives, but I would look into ddboost which makes certain things much easier (and faster).

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

for the NW server you can make another node in the DR site and make NW cluster.

No Events found!