Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

F

September 17th, 2013 09:00

Datadomain DDboost replication - MTREE Vs directory

Hello Networkers,

We are looking into switching our Networker backups from Datadomain VTL to DDBoost.  Currently we backup our data to a Datadomain DD890 VTL which replicates to another DD890 at a remote location.  In our current setup the backup starts to replicate at block level as soon as it writes to the directory in datadomain which is hardware based and near-real-time with no additional effort from application or administration.  Looks like starting from DDOS 5.1 DDBoost uses MTree and cannot replicate directly unless a cloning (replication) job is manually or from a schedule initiated from an application eg.  in Networker "Clone Controlled Replication" .

In other words:

1.  If cloning is not scheduled for few hours, replication will be behind few hours so we need to keep clones going all the time which may lead to other issues like multiple clone jobs waiting for same saveset to clone(replicate) etc
2.  If Networker is being upgraded, replication will not run untill networker is back and clone is manually restarted.
3.  Admin will have to frequently run reports to make sure the data is cloned (replicated).
4.  If you need tape cloning for longer retention, you need to run another clone job afterwards

DDBoost/Mtree replication is totally depending on the application while directory replication is:

1. automatic  
2. hardware level 
3. near real time 
4. No dependency on application 
5. no administration/scheduling needed
6. Replicates even when Networker is down for upgrade etc
7. tape cloning and replication both can run simultaneously

The only benefit I can see is Networker will be aware of replicated data.

It's almost like DDBoost is taking away a very desireable feature and replacing with a less efficient process.

I am interested to know if and how you have configured DDBoost and replication with Datadomain and Networker.

Thanks

14.3K Posts

October 14th, 2013 10:00

I believe mtree usage for VTLs came with 5.2 so I'm sure that with 5.1 you still use directory based.  I switched to DDBoost for other reasons (beyond CCR), but they way it works is following:

• in NW8.0.x (and before) you use application cloning which triggers mtree replication. It can be scheduled, manual or automatic.  If you want data to be replicated asap, you will probably find a fact that cloning kicks in once whole group is done a bit worrisome.
  • in NW8.1 cloning can kick in as soon as backup set is completed (something you are after)
  • in DDOS 5.4 (same as 5.3, but 5.3 got killed) there is possibility to have DDBoost over FC (requires also NW 8.1) and maybe you can get same thing with VTL now too - I really wouldn't know as I didn't dig into that space
No Events found!