Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 13th, 2015 03:00

Datadomain VTL to DDBoost Migration

Hello folks,

I am planing to migrate my Networker 8.x that use VTL mode on a datadomain to ddboost

Question 1) can my networker server be connectet to the same Datadomaine by using VTL and DDboost on the same time.

Question 2) and advise about what is not documented (if any ) on the document " EMC® NetWorker® and EMC Data Domain® Boost Deduplication Devices " docu53908.pdf.

Many thanks,

Kamal

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

August 13th, 2015 04:00

Hi Kamal,

If you are trying to use DDBoost over FC and VTL at the same tme this would not work. But if you are using DDBoost over IP and VTL, i don't see you having any issues there.

As for additional advice it all depends on how you are planning to use the DDboost in your environment.

14.3K Posts

August 14th, 2015 16:00

1) Yes (I had kind of similar migration in the past)

2) Pretty much everything is there... can't think of anything specific nowadays that it would be worth extra mentioning.

April 28th, 2017 17:00

kMouline about question (2),  docu53908 explains various migration scenarios, but I would suggest to do, first, some tests regarding "deduplicated and unique data" to validate the amount of free space really required.

April 28th, 2017 17:00

Hi CrazyRov, as far as I know the answer for question (1) is an absolute yes; in fact it is documented on page 28 (FC support):

"Data Domain systems support the coexistence of FC-enabled DD Boost devices together with VTL devices on the same Data Domain system. However, the FC-enabled DD Boost devices must not share an initiator with VTL devices on the same Data Domain system"

Which means you have to use, at least, 2 different HBAs on Networker storage node to connect VTL & DDboost devices.

It did not work on your environment?

No Events found!