Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

September 9th, 2009 03:00

Device Management / Max parallelism NW751 Query

Hi,

I'm trying to understand what exactly the Max Parallelism field, in the Device Management area, in the Configuration tab, of library properties is for.

Could anyone shed some light pls?

Tks,
Liam

14.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 05:00

Yes (or restores). The logic behind is that you do not wish all your devices to be locked by single operation (like massive labeling) and have other jobs waiting for that one to complete.

14.3K Posts

September 9th, 2009 04:00

max parallelism is jukebox setting which is used to say how many concurrent nsrjb operation there will be. Default is total number of device -1. In example, if you have 4 drives your max parallelism will be 3. If you issue command to label 30 tapes NW will use 3 drives instead of all 4.

1.1K Posts

It is the maximum number of streams of data that can be written to that device. The reason that you may want to have control over this is several streams of data going to a device will be multiplexed - they will be chopped up and written to the tape simultaneously; the more streams of data doing this, the more tape you need to read for a recovery, so you don't want this to get too high. If it is a VTL device rather than a physical device it is not going to be so significant in terms of recovery performance but you may still want to consider setting this to a reasonable value to prevent data becoming split over several volumes.

116 Posts

Tks Hrvoje,

So is the theory behind this that there will be devices available for saves ?

Tks,
Liam

116 Posts

Hi David,

are you confusing my question with device target sessions ?

Tks,
Liam

1.1K Posts

Sorry Liam, I didn't realise you were referring to the library instead of the device... Hrvoje has already answered this one correctly for a library, I don't think I can improve on that one :)

116 Posts

Tks David

244 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 01:00

From my experience, and to keep this in mind, setting this parameter to 1 doesn't mean that all operations on jukebox will be sequential - performed one after another.

83 Posts

November 3rd, 2010 01:00

hi:

What does it mean: single operation . Should not include the backup  Operation.

No Events found!