Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 10th, 2011 08:00

Drives going in Service mode frequently

HI All

We are facing the Drives issue on our enviorement.

Issue: Library is IBM TS3500 and 2 drives are attached with them but both the dreives goes in services mode frequently.

Backup Server : Windows 2003 with 7.6 Networker version,

Your Views will be very helpfull for me.

Thanks

2.4K Posts

August 10th, 2011 09:00

NW disables a tape drive if it can not recover from a write error. Most likely a hardware problem.

There are lots of reasons for hardware problems: drive, media, cable, termination, drivers etc.

You can of course use NW's tapeexercise or any other tool (ntbackup) to verify that the hardware runs fine.

59 Posts

August 10th, 2011 23:00

Have you logged into the TS3500 web interface and checked for any errors? Most of the time, i see errors on the console when that happens on a drive on my TS3200s. I know it sounds simple, but try running a cleaning tape through the drive, and possibly a power cycle of the library.

14 Posts

July 1st, 2016 08:00

In my case the Cisco switch that the tape library network interface was attached to had been modified, someone changed all ports VLAN's on the switch (go figure!) and I couldn't even ping the library IP address.

136 Posts

July 7th, 2016 12:00

I think recently this tape drives may be rebooted, if the setup was working earlier.

If so try to re-configure the device (TL) via NMC.

If not, login to TL. check for logs. It may give clear picture about this issue.

No Events found!