Highlighted
makruger
1 Copper

Re: Duplicate Volume Names

This issue "might" be solved. Looking like a bad drive. I'll leave it disabled and monitor things for a while.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Michael

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Beryllium

You must setup the appropriate resource on the NW server.

Here is an example for NW 9.1.x/Windows:

C:\>

C:\>nsradmin -p nsrexec

NetWorker administration program.

Use the "help" command for help, "visual" for full-screen mode.

nsradmin>

nsradmin> . type: nsr log; name: daemon.raw

Current query set

nsradmin> p

type: NSR log;

administrator: "group=Administrators,host=localhost",

"group=Administrators,host=#############################",

"isroot,host=##################################";

owner: NetWorker;

maximum size MB: 88;

maximum versions: 10;

runtime rendered log: ;

runtime rollover by size: Enabled;

runtime rollover by time: ;

name: daemon.raw;

log path: "D:\\nsr\\logs\\daemon.raw";

nsradmin>

nsradmin> update maximum size MB: 89

maximum size MB: 89;

Update? p

Unrecognized answer ; assuming `no'.

nsradmin> update maximum size MB: 89

maximum size MB: 89;

Update? y

updated resource id 10.0.128.36.0.0.0.0.173.87.12.78.0.0.0.0.##.##.##.##(6)

nsradmin>

nsradmin> q

Do not forget to restart ALL NW services/daemons in the end.

0 Kudos
wlee4
3 Argentium

The jukebox reset was to eject all the tape drives and scan the slots to see if there was a tape in any slot.  This is similar to performing a power up initialization, where the jukebox scans to see what it has before becoming ready for use.

The jukebox parallelism sets how many physical tape drives would be used for a label or inventory operation.  So I am surprised the inventory command (nsrjb -Ipv) only used 1 drive if the value was set to 4.

>  showed up with a Volume name of "E"

I do not know what this means....can you give an example of one volume showing this?

Drive ordering issues could be one reason why you are having missing tape labels.  You could have had it sometime in the past, might not have realized it.  One of the symptoms of this problems is when NetWorker reports "serial number mismatch".  You can try searching for this phrase in the log files.

nsrck -m usually does not return any output.

If scanner -v reported a no data on tape error, then I would say it was a new blank tape...  or a damaged tape if you are sure it was already used.

mminfo -avot -q volid=volume_id -r volume, barcode...   no information just means that that volume ID is not currently in the media database.  Curious.  How did you know what volume ID to query for?  Do you really mean to say volume ID  or volume name?

>  ... but failed to properly label the rest.

I would look at the output to see why the label failed.

An abnormal shutdown could have caused the NetWorker databases to be corrupted.  If that happened to the media database, then that could have cause loss of backup, volume, and/or client information.

Definitely document how the jukebox currently looks like before you delete the jukebox and drives and then scan and configure.  You should also stop nw and make an online backup copy of nsr\res too.

@bingo explained how to configure NetWorker to set the log file max size before NetWorker rolls over to a new one.

What is the service request # for this issue?

0 Kudos