Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 18th, 2012 00:00

Duplicate volume name `xxxxx'. Select a new name or remove the original volume

we are running networker 7.6.2 and  storage node tape drives are mounting  recyclable tapes for the backups  and getting the message "Duplicate volume name.select a new name or remove the original name"and we are  unable to label tapes on the storage node drives.But we could label the tapes on the drives connected to the backup server and then storage node can pick the tapes based on the pools and it writing the data.

Basically storage nodes are not able to pick the recyclable tapes for writing unless it has been labelled by the drives conencted to the backup server and it is not able to label the tapes on the Storage node .

And the backup server is running on solaris 10.

Any suggestion?

445 Posts

October 18th, 2012 06:00

Sekaraj,

Can you check the following: -

The name of the volume you loaded is the same as the name which it complains is a duplicate?

note which drives are being used on the Storage node for labels.

Note which drives on Storage node are used for backups.

I think you may find you have a drive ordering issue on some of the drives within the Storage node as there is no issue with the entries in the Media Database as there is no corrective action required when your NetWorker server labels the volumes.

I think you may find for example you have 8 drives in total, 4 of which are working and 4 where their addresses have changed for some reason.

Check persistent binding settings for the OS etc and configure if these are not.

There are Support Solutions available on Powerlink for this.

Regards,

Bill Mason

14.3K Posts

October 18th, 2012 04:00

Remove tape from media database by running on backup server nsrmm -dy VOLUME_NAME (same can be done from GUI).  It looks as if during relabeling something went wrong and you have ghost volume.  Removing it from media database and then labeling it will fix it.

445 Posts

Sekaraj - just to be clear, when you label the volumes on the NetWorker server can this be done automatically or are you manually labelling and receive prompt to which you answer yes or are you deleting the volume and NetWorker server and them labelling manually?

Please tell us which option above?

Regards,

Bill Mason

hi,

It is not happening to one volume it is happening to more then 40-50 recyclable tapes and I am not able to lable the tapes on the storage node drives but the backups are running fine on the storage nodes once we label the using the drives attached to the backup server and again this is hapening most of the storage node drives on that library.

Any suggestion would be great?

October 18th, 2012 05:00

Thanks Bill.

Let say I have pool called "filesystem" and I have plenty of recyclable tapes available on that pool but when the backups kicks for the storage node it is mounting the recyclable tapes on the correct storage node drive and we are getting duplicate volume name message and this  happening to  most of the storage node drives .To fix the duplicate volume name issue I am trying to relabel the recyclable volumes on storage node and I am getting the same error message"Duplicate volume name,select new name or remove the original volume  but the same volume can be labelled on the drives connected to the backup server on that jukebox. Once I relabel the recylable tapes on the drives connected to the backup server it is mounting the tapes fine on the storage node drives and backups are running fine.

I am just labelling it manually what ever volumes failed to  relabel on the storage node drives it is working on the drives connected to the backup server.

October 18th, 2012 20:00

Bill,

Thanks for your help.It looks some devices have drive ordering issue  which I could fix.

Thanks for your help and support.

No Events found!