Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 23rd, 2014 13:00

EBR VBA scalability for DR

We are planning to deploy EBR VBA for VM restores at DR site which was backed up from primary site.

- Backup to DD and clone to DR DD using VBA and primary vCenter.

- Restore  VMs using the same VBA in the NW datazone but using the D vCenter.

Is this supported, since the we have metadata in Networker and VBA host and cloned data in DR DD ?

Can someone let me know how we can integrate one VBA host with multiple vCenter ?

January 25th, 2014 21:00

Hi Abul,

Will there be a new / different networker Server be deployed on the DR site as well?

You may need to perform the disaster recovery of the EBR / NVP Appliance ( restore the validated check point on DR Vcenter & add / re-register to the DR Vcenter ).

Not sure if this is tested.

HTH

Regards

Hari Prakash.

142 Posts

January 26th, 2014 20:00

Since metadata is in nsr server in production, you would require metadata at DR nsr server, you may achieve it by replicating the LUN of metadata in DR site. Get a new VM in DR with the same nsr server name.

Regards

tech88kur

25 Posts

May 2nd, 2014 09:00

I'm actually on the same predicament.  Customer would like to see how to recover a cloned-VM backed up by EBR.  Based on what you guys are saying, it can't be done unless you fail-over the EBR (and among other things) and re-registering it with the DR vcenter?

7 Posts

May 28th, 2014 09:00

Same here. I have a similar setup and I'm trying to find out how to recovery VM's at an offsite DC during a DR where the primary DC is down. This will be a show stopper for us if I can't do it. I opened up a case with support to see if their is a way.

August 4th, 2014 07:00

I have the same requirement, have this been figured out by you. Please suggest

August 4th, 2014 23:00

Hi, have you got any success on this please share the same.... Have you tried it out...

August 5th, 2014 00:00

Hi Swapnil,

Current scenario (EBR)doesn't support restoring VM's it via different Vcenter (DR Vcenter)

I heard that NetWorker Product team is working out on this.

You can check with Networker support team about the tentative networker release which this is supported.

Regards

Hari Prakash.

August 5th, 2014 00:00

Thanks a lot Hari for your prompt response, however I got one more

question, what if I keep the same hostname and ip address at DR for the

vcenter we are already replicating networker server with recover point to

DR site, and our setup supports the same ip addresses at the production and

DR site…. Will it be feasible then???

Meanwhile I will check with the support for more details, but it seems like

you have done quite a lot of research on this so your inputs will be

helpful…

Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 10:04 AM

To: Swapnil_Pandey

Subject: Re: - EBR VBA scalability for DR

ECN

EBR VBA scalability for DR

reply from kshariprakash

in *NetWorker

Support Forum* - View the full discussion

7 Posts

October 17th, 2014 10:00

Sorry for the long delay. I did end up opening up a case and they said the same thing kshariprakash replied. Our Networker SE said their might be a way to change the DNS name of your VBA server that would be recovered to the offsite DC in order to make the offsite vcenter think it was talking to the VBA server at the offsite DC, but he said it's not a support solutions. I have not done any testing on this as of yet. They are working on the issue internally and we were not the only customer asking for a resolution on this issue. I'm still waiting to hear back from our EMC team to find out what solution they will be coming up with.

16 Posts

January 28th, 2015 23:00

Hi All,

Is there anything you have latest onto this from EMC or from your experiences. In My environment because of this limitations of EBR Backups not supporting the Restores at DR DC, I am forced to use VADP.

Anything new would be helpful.

Thanks

Ram

40 Posts

January 29th, 2015 01:00

Hello Ram,

Cross vCenter restores with NetWorker VBA is supported with new released today version 8.2.1 .

For this service pack, a virtual machine that's been cloned to a secondary site with its own vCenter and VBA appliance can be recovered on the secondary site to a different vCenter even if the primary site becomes unavailable, so long as it's all within the same NetWorker datazone.

Regards,

--Liliana

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

January 29th, 2015 06:00

It’s even supported under 8.2 as well with a script but you may need to contact with EMC support to get this.

Regards,

Abul Khasim

EMCTAe-BRS,EMCIE

Solutions Architect II

Professional Services

O: +91 806-737-8294

US Toll free: +1 800-782-4362 Ext 785-8294

abul.chozhiyarkulangar@emc.com

EMC2

where information lives

No Events found!