Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

March 1st, 2007 15:00

EMAIL backup Completion Notices

Does NetWorker have an Email Client?
Are they thinking of making one available anytime soon?

To date I have for sometime utilized BLAT for my Backup Completion Notices, something which has to be considered, installed and managed outside the boundaries of the NetWorker application.

Something to be thinking about, when you do not receive your Backup Completion Notices. With the advent of SOX Compliance and all the anomalies it bestows on Backup Administrators, i.e. it is a SOX requirement to show proof that your backups completed successfully on any selected day, this is the mechanism by which we can show that we are able to perform a restore.

Only this morning we had a problem with our exchange server, with the result that all my Backup Completion Notices were not delivered and lost forever, because NetWorker does not have its own Email Client, there is no mechanism to queue Backup Completion Notices, or is there?.

As far as I am aware most other proprietary applications nowadays come with their own built in Email Client that maximizes their use in any SOX compliant environment.

14.3K Posts

March 2nd, 2007 00:00

NetWorker is backup application thus having email client is out of the scope. However it does provide mechanism to use 3rd party email applications like blat. If your Exchange is down it's most likely email client would not be able to send email as its server is down - right? That doesn't mean you are out of logs - connect to server and check logs which are there. NMC can also be used to generate reports and further if you need more you can use EBA. If you wish to have double notifications (one sent to email and one send to disk as log) simply create such notifications.

163 Posts

March 8th, 2007 11:00

Hello,

seriously, why are you using Networker notifications to proof your backups as successful? Networker's logfile gives you the same information and won't be lost if your Exchange server is down. I can't imaging that it's a requirement by Sarbanes-Oxley to proof the validate of backups by (unsigned) emails. Personally I'm using notifications to get a quick overview on backup jobs because it's more comfortable to review regular backups as Networker only shows the last status of a group on GUI. mminfo and logfiles should be the tool of choice to really verify backups...

best regards.

198 Posts

March 13th, 2007 06:00

This topic has been considered by a number of my customers in the past.

You don't say which platform you are running NetWorker on and as you are using blat I am assuming its the windoes version. The Windows version of Networker has a extension binary with is included within the distribution "smtpmail" which can be used to email any or all notifications to your email environment.

Have you also considered using an external email address to send these to in the event that your corporate email environment in unavailable. smtpmail can be setup to send the mail to multiple addresses from the command options.

WW

33 Posts

March 22nd, 2007 17:00

Notifications are not just for backup admins. They are useful to send to the customers/admins of the servers being backed up.
No Events found!