Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 23rd, 2014 06:00

EMC Networker System State Recovery runs out of disk space

HI!

I have performed a test system state recovery in our DR environment. The DC is a virtual (VMWare) Win 2008 r2 Standard DC with the Networker Client installed. It has a single C:\ drive with 40GB partition, 20GB of which is free. I did a full backup of the servers and then recovered the system state (in DSRM mode). However before completion it ran out of disk space and failed! The folder "C:\Temp\nsr_recover" has filled up with 20GB of data and this has caused the failure. Does anyone know how to recover the situation?

thanks

Steve

355 Posts

January 23rd, 2014 07:00

Hello,

Few questions, What is the version of Networker ?

Do you want to perform system state recovery on same host or different host ?

Do you want to restore only system state or everything including data?

System state backup is huge in size with Networker 8.x. So if you are only facing size issue you may try to increase the disk size.

Please refer to Networker Guide for more information  -

https://support.emc.com/docu50618_NetWorker-8.1-SP1-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Page Number 394- 398.

Regards,

Pawan

355 Posts

When I say "System State backup is even bigger than C drive.", it happens when total size of data on C drive includes only OS/Windows files. Lets say if after fresh installation total data on C drive is 12 GB, your system state backup size may exceed 12 GB in size.

Regards,

Pawan

355 Posts

Hello,

I have seen it happening practically with Networker 8.0 for hundreds of windows 2008/2008 R2 clients that System State backup is even bigger than C drive.

I am trying to find a document which can describe this behavior.  If I can not find it, soon I will work on my labs and will write a document to describe it.

Regards,

Pawan

38 Posts

I think I understand - total size of data for us was 20GB (on a 40GB volume) and the system state recovery process exceeded the free space available and therefore failed. Interesting though now the free space on the DC is now only 13GB where it was originally 20Gb prior to the attempted recovery. Not sure what's used up the 7GB!!!!

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Can you expand you disk space ? As you are on a Virtual machine that should not be an issue to expand. But i am not sure why only your system state is taking up more that the entire C:\ partition.

355 Posts

Hello Steve,

Its my pleasure . I will provide detailed information on this ASAP.

Regards,

Pawan

38 Posts

Hi Pawan

Our version is 8.0.2

We are performing a system state recovery on the same host

I was just restoring system state and not all of the data

thanks

Steve

38 Posts

Thanks for the quick feedback Pawan. I am writing our DR Recovery Process at the moment and have come across this issue which is a concern to us. Any help would be appreciated!

thanks guys

Steve

38 Posts

Hi Crazyrov

Yes, I can expand the disk space but I don't understand why this would happen!? I had 20GB disk space free so I am confused why this has all been used up!

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

Pawan, By any means do you have any document or article that would explain why this is happening? Thanks.

Date: Thu, 23 Jan 2014 07:25:12 -0800

To: rovinabi@hotmail.com

Subject: Re: - EMC Networker System State Recovery runs out of disk space

ECN

EMC Networker System State Recovery runs out of disk space

reply from pawankumawat in NetWorker Support Forum - View the full discussion

Hello,

Few questions, What is the version of Networker ?

Do you want to perform system state recovery on same host or different host ?

Do you want to restore only system state or everything including data?

System state backup is huge in size with Networker 8.x. So if you are only facing size issue you may try to increase the disk size.

Please refer to Networker Guide for more information -

https://support.emc.com/docu50618_NetWorker-8.1-SP1-Administration-Guide.pdf?language=en_US

Page Number 394- 398.

Regards,

Pawan

Reply to this message by replying to this email, or go to the message on ECN

Start a new discussion in NetWorker Support Forum by email or at ECN

Following NetWorker Support Forum in these streams:

Inbox

Following EMC Networker System State Recovery runs out of disk space in these streams:

Inbox

38 Posts

January 24th, 2014 00:00

Hello Pawan

I checked the size of the system state backup on the EMC Networker server and the total size is 13GB. The admin guide documentation states you should have approx. 10GB free space and we had 20GB.

thanks

Steve

355 Posts

January 24th, 2014 04:00

Hello Steve,

There is one possibility that for your client backup, compress option is selected. It will compress the data and will show backup size after compression. Have you installed other programs on your client ? 10 GB extra free space is enough when you have only OS installed. when you install programs it will increase required free space.

In general, you can do system restore with 10 GB free space on windows 2008 R2. You should select all system state and VSS backup for restore together to avoid any conflict.

When you want to do disaster recovery, you should use Networker Disaster recovery ISO image, which can be used to restore everything without installing OS.

You can refer to chapter 25 for more details on recovery using ISO image in Administration guide.

I hope this will be helpful

Regards,

Pawan

38 Posts

January 24th, 2014 04:00

Hello Pawan

Thanks for getting back to me.

There are no other programs installed on the DC. When recovering the DC I selected the VSS System Boot, VSS System Services and VSS System Fileset. If I use the EMC Networker BMR ISO I have a problem because I use the VMWare VMXNet3 NIC on our DCs and this is not supported by the EMC Win PE boot ISO!

thanks

Steve

355 Posts

January 24th, 2014 05:00

Hello Steve,

I am talking to support team on your case, when I find more information I will post here.

I want to check if system state backup of a DC needs more free space. if not then what could be the issue.

Regards,

Pawan

355 Posts

January 27th, 2014 04:00

Hello Steve,

I am working on your case and trying to look on different possibilities.

Can you please run restore in debug mode, that will be helpful to understand the issue in deep.

You can use following commands on client also -

recover –v -D9 –iY –s r2dc –N “VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\”

recover –v –D9 -iY –s r2dc –N “VSS SYSTEM BOOT:\”

recover –v –D9 -iY –s r2dc –N “VSS SYSTEM SERVICES:\”

where r2dc is the Networker server.

Regards,

Pawan

No Events found!