Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2013 03:00

Error 1920 / Service failed to start during client install

I have two clients running Windows 2008 Standard which refuse to have the Networker client installed on them. The problem is that at the very end of the install nsrexecd fails to start with the error:

Error 1920. Service nsrexecd failed to start. Verify you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

After this I have to cancel and the install is rolled back.

The service is using the local system account, and I am using domain admin account for the installation. The available articles suggest to attempt install to a different disk/location, but it did not help. Same thing happens for 8.0.1 and 7.6.5 install. Server has already been rebooted.

Any tips where to look next?

Thanks.

16 Posts

February 5th, 2014 08:00

I had the same issue while installing Networker 8.1 client on Hyper-V server. I tried changing the startup account but didn’t work. We actually had to change the default timeout on the Windows services from 30 seconds to 1 minute and fixed the issue. We worked with support and engineering and determined the cause to be with the Hyper-V servers being setup in a 4 node cluster and needing extra time to start. This was the case on all Hyper-V servers in cluster.

Ken Ciolek

EMCISA, EMCIEs, EMCIEe, EMCTAs, EMCCIS

Solutions Architect

Data Protection & Availability

PS Americas East (NY/NJ) Delivery

EMC2

Center 78

184 Liberty Corner Road, 4th Floor

Warren, NJ 07059

mobile: 201-983-1537

email: Kenneth.CiolekJr@emc.com

1 Attachment

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

December 15th, 2013 19:00

Open a command prompt as an adminiatrator . I.e right click on the command prompt icon and select "Run as Administrator". Launch the networker.msi from within the command prompt.

--- Original Message ---

16 Posts

Hi guys,

I’m having the same issue with a customer, the environment is a Windows 2012 Hyper-V server and Networker 8.1 client. I had tried all the suggestions and currently working with support and engineering, they think the issue has to do with windows service start-up time, the default 30 seconds isn’t long enough to start the service and eventually times out. Support has tested this and was able to recreate the problem in their lab and work around resolved the issue. The work around is to extend the default start-up time for the services from 30 seconds to 10 minutes. Keep in mind this is a global change and affect default startup time for all windows services. It hasn’t been listed as a bug in Networker as of yet. We have yet to try the fix with customer, hopefully sometime this week.

Thanks,

Ken Ciolek

EMCISA, EMCIEs, EMCTAs, EMCCIS

Solutions Architect

Data Protection & Availability Division (DPAD)

EMC2

Center 78

Warren, NJ 07059

1 Attachment

1.2K Posts

I suggest:

1. Uninstall any NetWorker components from appwiz.cpl (Programs and Features in Control Panel).
2. Reboot the computer into Safe Mode (When restarting, keep pressing F8 and select Safe Mode).
3. Open cmd, copy and paste the following command and press Enter.

REG ADD HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\SafeBoot\Minimal\MSIServer/VE/TREG_SZ/F/D %Service%

4. Type the following command and press Enter:

net start msiserver

5. Install NetWorker again.

If the issue persists, please verify whether the installation package is correct. In addition, please check whether you can install Office components or Windows Live Messenger (check if Windows Installer is good).

1.2K Posts

You can also try:

Right-click the installation package and click Run as administrator. Then install the package.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

The last time I tried the right click on the msi file did not list the run as administrator option. Anyways its worth a try.

--- Original Message ---

1.2K Posts

OK. This indicates UAC has already been turned off on your computer and you can ignore this suggestion.

23 Posts

December 15th, 2013 21:00

I forgot to mention that I do use "Run as Administrator" option to start the installation.

The service gets stuck in the "Starting" state, so maybe Kenneth is on something here. Kenneth, did youo get the same error message after it failed to start within the allotted time? I guess it isn't really a permission problem because it would pop up immediately, not after a while.

Also, unlike most of our clients, these two are 32 bit.

I will try the rest of the suggestions if we can get a downtime as this is a production server.

16 Posts

December 16th, 2013 06:00

Yes….same exact error. We had tried all the previous suggestions, also had Microsoft look into OS issues and nothing. Support finally came up with what I posted earlier and in my case they think it had to do with multiple Hyper-V clusters. The environment was 4 Hyper-V clusters we’re trying to install Networker client on, 2 of them were successful and the other 2 had this error.

Ken Ciolek

EMCISA, EMCIEs, EMCTAs, EMCCIS

Solutions Architect

Data Protection & Availability Division (DPAD)

EMC2

Center 78

Warren, NJ 07059

1 Attachment

23 Posts

December 16th, 2013 21:00

Thanks, sounds promising, we will give it a go.

142 Posts

February 5th, 2014 07:00

Hi All,

I too faced the same issue while installation on a win2k8 machine. A pop-up came up saying "....Error 1920....Unable to start nsrexecd...check permissions...". Once I had this i went to services.msc saw that there is nsrexecd in stopped mode. I tried starting it but it started and stopped again. I saw that it is trying to come up with local system account .....what was happening is it was starting and then stopping...so i changed the log on account to a user account which had local and domain admin privileges and restarted it, the service came up.....went back to wizard, clicked retry in the pop-up and then the wizard finished successfully.

Regards

tech88kur

1.7K Posts

February 7th, 2014 02:00

Hello all,

This looks like a known issue, currently being investigated by EMC engineering under escalation number:

NW158505

Maybe you would like to open a case with support and mention this reference, or else follow Kenneth's recommendations

Thank you,

Carlos

23 Posts

February 8th, 2014 11:00

I can confirm that increasing the service startup timeout in system registry resolved the problem for me as well. IN my case it was not a HyperV cluster member which by the way we do have and they don't suffer from this problem.

March 31st, 2014 02:00

I had the same problem with the NW client installation on a Server 2012 ("R1") wich runs the Hyper-V role.

After changing the startup time to 1 min. the installation was comleted successfully.

For those who are not familiar with changing the default service startup time I provide a link to the Microsoft KB where it is described as a workaround:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922918/en-us

142 Posts

April 15th, 2014 05:00

Dear All,

All the posts described earlier mention the problem in Windows OS >2008.

I am running a VM in vSphere 5.0 environment, guest OS is Windows Server 2003, System Type - X86-based PC and getting the same "Error 1920.....", there are no permissions related issues as the installation was successful on every other VM.

Does changing the service start up time applicable here as well?

I have tried different installer packages from 8.0.2.6 to 8.0.3.3 but all are giving this error.

Regards

tech88kur

No Events found!