ble1
6 Indium

Error OK (not)

Jump to solution

Several weeks ago we deployed RedHat 6.2 server in smaller environment and life was good.  We soon learned that NMC would not work with RH 6.2 if you run 7.6.x (7.6.4.2 in this case) so we installed NMC box as win2k8 R2.  All worked fine until someone noticed that it can't edit pool.  The error was rather funny:

ecn69.jpg

At that time I didn't worry much because I was sure this is java issue and changing java would fix it.  I was wrong

So, my first tests were with different java versions from 1.6 and 1.7 code tree.  None of these tests made any difference. Then we tried to use legacy NMC server which is 7.6.2.7 and it all worked well.  So, NMC was to blame.  I was wrong

Soon after above episode I did upgrade my environment to 7.6.4.2 and could not reproduce it.  Of course, my server was HPUX and NMC was running on Linux box so that most probably made some difference.  I also have seen some other people in wild reporting same thing and at that point I saw pattern where their NMC was running on win2k8 R2 - therefore I concluded this must be it.  I was wrong

Today I made a test where I installed 7.6.4.2 NMC on win2k8 R2 x64 and I was able to reproduce it against Linux server. Then I went to win2k8 x86 box, installed NMC and to my surprise I was able to reproduce it again.  For fun, I used same NMC server against my HPUX server and there everything worked.  At the end, I installed NMC on wink3 x86 box and - I was able to reproduce it again.

At this point, it sounds as common thing is Linux backup server which may send back something that NMC side doesn't like for some reason. However, when doing exactly the same from CLI using nsradmin - it works just fine. I'm not quite sure what is wrong here nor why, but there is something fishy. From other reports I have seen it seems this has started with 7.6.4.1 (perhaps even before), it may also be reproduced if your backup server is win2k8 R2 server according to one soul in same trouble...

Has anyone else seen that too and more importantly does it know what is causing it and what solution might be?  From experience I know opening this on support will takes ages to get attention so I'm still looking for workaround   And before someone asks, yes things were rebooted, yes logs have been checked, yes nsrauth has been disabled, yes java/gst was placed in debug mode, but nothing that make sense could be found. So, before I turn to support, does anyone here have a clue about above issue?

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
coganb
3 Cadmium

Re: Error OK (not)

Jump to solution

Morning Hrvoje,

You'll be glad to hear that there is a workaround for this.  Go to Menu->View and check on "Display Read Only Devices and Volumes".  This should fix the problem.  EMC Engineering is working on a code fix which should be available shortly (reference NW143324) which will permanently fix this without need to change the view.

-Bobby

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
coganb
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

Morning Hrvoje,

You'll be glad to hear that there is a workaround for this.  Go to Menu->View and check on "Display Read Only Devices and Volumes".  This should fix the problem.  EMC Engineering is working on a code fix which should be available shortly (reference NW143324) which will permanently fix this without need to change the view.

-Bobby

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Jump to solution

Hi Bobby,

Thanks!  I didn't thought of that   Yeah, for rare occasions when using NMC to edit pools, I can switch it on.

0 Kudos