Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

June 7th, 2010 12:00

Error in backing up SQL 2008 Cluster

Hi All,

I'm having some difficulties in setting up the NMSQL 5.2.1 in a SQL 2008 active/active cluster running on Windows 2008 R2. I have several differrent instances running in the cluster where none are the default instance.

Just to give a brief description this is how the setup is:

2 x physical server

server 1

server 2

4 x instances

inst1\inst1

inst2\inst2

inst3\inst3

inst4\inst4

I'm no MSSQL wiz but I guess that a cluster configuration in SQL 2008 is still server\instance, but the difference is that each instance is like a virtual machine. So basically inst1(server)\inst1(instance)

The problem is when I try to connect with the SQL module I can only choose instances where it is the physical server\ instances name. In my example

server1\inst1

server1\inst2

When I try to connect through the SQL module to one of the connections I get tons of errors saying that I'm trying to connect to the wrong instance and no connection can be established.

"These are the error messages I'm getting

38006:nwmssql:SQL Server Network Interfaces: Error Locating Server/Instance Specified[xFFFFFFFFFF]

38006:nwmssql:A Network-related or instance-specific error has occured while establishing a connection to SQL Server. Server is not found or not accessible. Check if instance name is correct and if SQL Server is configured to allow remote connections. "

The servers are setup for remote connections. The problem that I see here is that Networker cannot see my instances running on the server. It's like I'm not getting the correct information into the NMSQL GUI regarding instances.

Has anyone seen this before??

14 Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

The name resolution is good.

nsrsqlsv.exe from command line is working.

1.7K Posts

September 18th, 2012 07:00

Hi Daniel,

Is there a good name resolution for all the SQL instances?

Have you tried to run the commands from command line in debug mode to see what is going on?

For instance:

nsrsqlsv.exe -D5vvv -s NW_SERVER_NAME -c client_name -a virtual_name -g group_name -l full DBNAME

for example_

nsrsqlsv.exe -D5vvv -s nwserver01 -c instance1 -a instance1 -g SQL_full -l full ITDB

Thank you.

Carlos.

1.7K Posts

September 18th, 2012 10:00

What about if you run this from command line?:

nwmssql.exe -c instance_name

Does NMSQL GUI open correctly?

Thank you.

Carlos.

14 Posts

September 19th, 2012 00:00

1.png

1.7K Posts

September 20th, 2012 02:00

Have you tried to configure the backup as follows?:

In order to back up a named instance, specify the following saveset in the SQL client's instance:

MSSQL$(instance_name)

To back up a database in the named instance, specify saveset:

MSSQL$(instance_name):(database name)

Thank you.

Carlos.

5 Posts

May 25th, 2014 19:00

Did you ever find the solution for this?  One of my SQL clusters has exactly the same symptoms, however 2 of the instance names are detected correctly and working, the remainder aren't and they are all setup identically in NetWorker.

153 Posts

May 26th, 2014 02:00

no, I don't remember the solution and it's been a while. It was stupid of me not updating this thread with the solution. Sorry

Are you sure you have MSSQL license for all the instances? As I seem to remember each unique instance uses 1 MSSQL license

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

May 26th, 2014 04:00

With the same username/password are you able to login to all the instances via the SLQ Management studio ?

5 Posts

September 28th, 2014 18:00

Hi all,

Was working with EMC support on another issue today and brought this up with them.  It was a basic DNS reverse lookup error.

When resolving the hostname it was fine, when resolving the IP it was pointing to an incorrect host.  Updated the DNS records and the Networker client for SQL worked fine.

Should have been the first thing I looked at, Networker client issues are usually DNS related.

Problem solved.

155 Posts

March 16th, 2015 09:00

Hi Team,

We are facing similar issue in our environment, and everything on DNS end looks perfect......do you have anyother point that can cause this error?

5 Posts

March 16th, 2015 14:00

Hi Suraj,

Can you test DNS like so:

C:\Users\xxxx>ping xxxx

Pinging xxxx.local [xxx.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxxx.16: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Reply from xxxx.16: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for 1xxxx.16:

Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\xxx>

Then check reverse DNS:

C:\Users\xxx>ping -a xxx.16

Pinging xxx.local [xxx.16] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from xxx.16: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Reply from xxx.16: bytes=32 time<1ms TTL=254

Ping statistics for xxx.16:

Packets: Sent = 2, Received = 2, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:

Minimum = 0ms, Maximum = 0ms, Average = 0ms

C:\Users\xxx>

If the ping -a doesnt resolve the IP to a hostname then you have something wrong with DNS.  Could you confirm that please?

Failing DNS, make sure you run the client as administrator.

155 Posts

March 17th, 2015 08:00

Hi Callump,

Thanks for your quick reply....We have done a through check of DNS, everything is good. Also run as administrator didnt bring any change...have tried doing every possible step, but all in vain. Strange thing is backups are working perfectly fine. Only issue is with opening GUI.

155 Posts

March 31st, 2015 00:00

EMC has recommended to re-register SQLVDI.dll and check. if this doesnt work, we will have to disable IPv6 which is enabled today in our SQL server and continue searching for a solution

3 Posts

September 27th, 2016 04:00

Hi ,

We are facing similar issue in our environment , how did you managed to fix it ?

Thanks and regards

Alex

No Events found!