broeste1
2 Iron

Error with VSS System Fileset on various Windows platforms

Hi All,

I'm seeing the same error when I'm backing up the VSS System Fileset on various platforms.

savegrp: suppressed 3 lines of verbose output
System Writer - ERROR: Aborting backup of saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with writer System Writer.
System Writer - Error saving
56076:save:AVCTL backup: successful
66754:saveSmiley Very Happye-Dupe session closed successfully
60894:save:C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin\nsravtar.exe exited with "Success"
7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ to netw01dkserv.dako.net failed
<WARNING> :  File C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-csrss_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_b5027f5b9c731f82\csrss.exe could not be opened and was not backed up. (Access is denied.)

savegrp: suppressed 3 lines of verbose output
System Writer - ERROR: Failed to save FileGroup files, writer = System Writer
System Writer - Error saving writer System Writer
System Writer - ERROR: Aborting backup of saveset VSS SYSTEM FILESET: because of the error with writer System Writer.
System Writer - Error saving
56076:save:AVCTL backup: successful
66754:saveSmiley Very Happye-Dupe session closed successfully
60894:save:C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr\bin\nsravtar.exe exited with "Success"
7162:save: save of VSS SYSTEM FILESET:\ to netw01dkserv.dako.net failed
<WARNING> :  File C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe could not be opened and was not backed up. (Access is denied.
)

It's these 2 files that are causing problems

C:\windows\system32\winlogon.exe

C:\Windows\winsxs\amd64_microsoft-windows-csrss_31bf3856ad364e35_6.0.6001.18000_none_b5027f5b9c731f82\csrss.exe

I can see that it reports an error with the System Writer but accordingly to vssadmin list writers, all writers report no error. The output is from an Avamar backup but it's the same problem when backing up to tape. What special with these 2 files??

Anybody have any ideas?

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Highlighted
joka2
2 Iron

Re: Error with VSS System Fileset on various Windows platforms

We have had success fixing these issues with Server 2003 clients by restarting the clients. Usually it does the trick for some time at least. If a Server 2003 client repeatadly comes with these errors we have applied the VSS update rollup package:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/940349

It works for us.

We also have problems with VSS save sets in Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. We have not had as much success fixing those errors. All our clients run NetWorker 7.6.1.2 as well as the NetWorker server.

regards,

Johannes

broeste1
2 Iron

Re: Error with VSS System Fileset on various Windows platforms

Hi Johannes,

Thanks for your reply I will give it a try.

This vss errors are starting to give me gray hair :-)