guenterH1
3 Argentum

Re: Every scheduled incr backup of Exchange is promoted to full

Jump to solution

Hello Carlos,

The nmm.raw file doesn't show the backup command issued with it's complete options and parameters.

I would like to address this "fault" to you for this is a really annoying thing in usual analysis process.

From this missing information we cannot tell for sure whetehr NW server or client did the change to full.

Only from the line

NMM .. Valid snapshot policy. Group: "Exchange_2010" Snapshot Policy: "Serverless Backup" Snapshots Per Day: "1"  Retain: "0" Backup Snapshots: "All" Level: "full".

found by cmorrall already we can assume the NW server already did the change.

It remains analysis on NW server regarding CFI and client-id mismatch.

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hello guenterH,

I think you are mistaken, nmm.raw will ALWAYS show the command line and the flags, please see below an example:

Command line:\n  E:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin\nsrsnap_vss_save.exe -A optype=conventional -A NSR_SAVE_FROM_SAVEGRP_NSRSNAP=Yes -A NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss -A CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY=Promote -A NSR_ALT_PATH=E:\snap_mount -A NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=all -A NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=exch2013dag.carlos.local -A NSR_EXCH_CHECK=no -A NSR_PARENT_JOBID=1248007 -c vm-avm-28-201.carlos.local -g Exchange -LL -m vm-avm-28-201.carlos.local -s vm-avm28-206.carlos.local -l full -q -W 78 -A snap_sessionid=1383210088 -A NSR_SAVE_FROM_SAVEGRP_NSRSNA

So i'm not sure where your statement comes from.

Having clarified this, the reason why I'm asking for that is to determine whether the issue is coming from savegrp itself, passing the wrong information to nsrsnap_vss_sae.exe or if its nsrindex/MDB not being able to check the CFI or MDB entries for that client.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

cmorral,

Can you please check the group configuration, in the tab "Advanced", what you have in the "Schedule" and in the "level" fields?

Once you check the schedule (if any) please check the configuration oft hat schedule.

Also please check in the client configuration, the option "Schedule" and please define either the level or the schedule in group or client and leave the other empty, as well as the level.

Thank you,

Carlos

sechm
3 Silver

Re: Re: Every scheduled incr backup of Exchange is promoted to full

Jump to solution

I have checked the group configuration. Both "level" and "schedule" are blank. Incidentally, it's the same group as before. I just added the new hosts and removed the old ones once the database migration was completed.

I have verified the schedule for the client definitions. They are set to incr Sunday to Thursday, full on Friday and skip on Saturday.

0 Kudos
sechm
3 Silver

Jump to solution

It's probably in the manual if I dig deep enough, but I figured it out.

The Snapshot Pool for the group was not set to the pool I wanted. The individual Exchange servers in the group were set to this pool however. All backups ended up in this pool, but they were all full.

I changed the Snapshot Pool for the group to the correct pool and left the pool setting for the individual Exchange servers blank.

Now incr level works, and all backups end up in the correct pool.

Strangely enough, I don't think I changed the group settings until now, but the old servers worked fine. Doesn't matter, it looks fine now.

0 Kudos
guenterH1
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Yes, it's written in NMM Application Guide (2.4-Sp1).

For the NW client configuration it is given on page 186:

b. Leave the Target Pool field blank.

I would never believe that this could cause such crazy problem if I wouldn't be told different here.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
guenterH1
3 Argentum

Jump to solution

Hello Carlos,

Please read the very first line keeping the backup command issued carefully.

I will not post it here completely for it keeps confidential data.

It starts with (in rendered form but raw shows the same):

52701 02.02.2014 21:05:26  7672 Command line:\n  C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr\bin\nsrsnap_vss_save.exe -A

and ends with:

-A NSRSNAP_JOBID=355140 APPLICATIONS:\Micros

which is definitely truncated.

The option "-l <level>" is always a part of the command but missing here in this case.

Could you explain about this?

The command is incompletely if it gets extremely large; I know such behavior since working with NMM.

Your example is taken from your lab environment and shows different.

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Jump to solution

Hi Guenter,

As this case is related to shcedules/levels, the backup command is the only important point for troubleshooting and yes, the backup command (not Application information) are always shown. The parts that usually are missing are the application information (-A xxx), and yes, I agree with you that not all details are always shown, however I was referring to the command flags sent to the nsrsnap_vss_save.exe

cmorral, glad to hear problem is now solved.

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
crazyrov
4 Beryllium

Jump to solution

Can you start the save group from the command line and provide us the output. We are trying to find out where exactly is the level escalated to a full ? no trace of it in the nmm.raw.

HTH,
For NetWorker related content - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4JLsVyXMyjbQ4i1NaJj5IQ

0 Kudos
sechm
3 Silver

Re: Re: Every scheduled incr backup of Exchange is promoted to full

Jump to solution

Attached is the output from my last attempt at forcing an incremental with savegrp -vvv -l incr Exchange_2010. I've replaced the domain name with a generic name, that's all.

0 Kudos