Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2015 01:00

Exchange 2010 DAG - not truncating logs

Hi

We have and exchange 2010 DAG - backing up using networker 8.2.1 and nnm 8.2.1. our application info is:

NSR_SNAP_TYPE=vss

CIRCULAR_PROMOTION_POLICY=Promote

NSR_ALT_PATH=n:\csk

NSR_EXCH2010_BACKUP=active

NSR_EXCH2010_DAG=DAG

NSR_EXCH_CHECK=yes

NSR_ESE_UTIL_DB_ONLY=no

NSR_ESE_UTIL_SEQUENTIAL=False

NSR_ESE_UTIL_THROTTLE=False

NSR_CHECK_JET_ERRORS=all

NSR_EXCH_RETAIN_SNAPSHOTS=yes

The Backup complete and are recoverable so it all looks good from the networker side, but the logs are not truncating, I get an information event on active node that no log files can be truncated RPC request to the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service for log truncation failed for database Mailbox Database

On the passive node I am getting errors, RPC request to the Microsoft Exchange Information Store service for log truncation failed for database Mailbox Database

and Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error querying for the IVssWriterCallback interface.  hr = 0x80070005, Access is denied.

am I missing something - many thanksRio

159 Posts

April 30th, 2015 06:00

oh, yes, and i have overseen that .

Also, Exchange only does purge if you filled a new log sequence with at least 100MB full of logs !

This might take  a while in a test environment

The hresult error could also mean trying to query a writer we do not have Access to. most likely ist MSDTC or some other writer during the query Phase.

159 Posts

April 29th, 2015 02:00

make sureyou have remoe Access in the networker Group for System@node1, System@node2 in order to enable vss to make remote calls !

There are some more Setting to follow for Security, user doing the Backup ( example: nmmbackupuser ) should be in networkers app admin list.

Follow each step in the NMM Guide is Important

for reference, use my labbuildr unleashed, Video #2

[labbuildr] labbuildr unleashed series: networker scenarios

1.7K Posts

April 30th, 2015 02:00

Hi johnrio1

First of all, despite what HyperV_Guy said, I would first check your Application and System event logs, as in fact is Exchange whi truncates the logs, and NOT NMM.

NMM just passes the information (and sets the flag) in the DB as backup completed, then is up to Exchange, depending on the replication status to either truncate the logs or not.

Check Application, system and Exchange logs in case there is some issue with the replication.

Thank you,

Carlos

159 Posts

April 30th, 2015 07:00

Then you shoul check out my blog posting:

12 Posts

April 30th, 2015 07:00

Thanks Carlos and Hyper-v Guy

I does seem that the logs are purging at different points of the day but there are not events n the event log about them being purged

I will keep on looking to verify that this is normal behaviour

1.7K Posts

May 5th, 2015 02:00

Hi johnrio1

Is this problem solved?

If so please feel free to mark the question as answered marking the answer you think it helped as correct.

Thank you,

Carlos

12 Posts

May 5th, 2015 02:00

Carlos

I am keeping an eye on it - log files are getting deleted although there is nothing in the event viewer but it think it is a lack of information from the Microsoft side rather than networker

many thanks for you help

No Events found!