NetworkSupport-
3 Silver

Exchange 2010 Granular restore performance

Hello all!

I have recently gotten our exchange setup working consistently with the latest versions of networker and NMM. The question i have is regarding granular restores. i performed a granular restore shortly after a full backup, and it took quite some time (2 hours or so).

our exchange box (non dag) is backing up directly to a data domain box in the same rack. when a restore is initiated it mounts the database (this database is about 25gb) within 10 min or so. after that it takes a very long time to drill down to mailboxes. im talking 30 to 60 min. during that time i have the networker admin console up and i see the information under recovery about the source device and % transferred. its only moving at about 5mbps.. We usually have a throttle set for replication, but i did this after hours (no throttle) and it still stuck at about 5mbps.

So i have 2 questions.

1. is this a normal pace for granular recovery?

2. what am i seeing in the admin console? is the database not fully mounted? as i type this its at 50% and still attempting to open the "inbox" of the user im doing a test restore for.

any input is appreciated!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
NetworkSupport-
3 Silver

Re: Exchange 2010 Granular restore performance

As some more follow up. I was using my OWN mailbox for testing.

the %transferred has continued to about 70% after 1 hour. when clicking on my inbox it has timed out 3 times, and left me with this.

Error getting item list: Error browsing folders -- Failed to fetch mailbox items. Please see libmapibrowse.raw for more information. [exch_get_mbx_list].

when i look at that log, i just get this.

46436 1400239473 5 0 0 11148 11812 0 suse10mbox01.llsa.local (pid11812) NSR critical 61 %s(%d): Error 0x%0.8x while processing folder for mailbox %s. 4 23 4 mapi 1 4 2060 1 2 -1 0 77 %2FO=LLSA%2FOU=FIRST ADMINISTRATIVE GROUP%2FCN=RECIPIENTS%2FCN=CHRIS.SMITHSON

82783 1400239473 0 0 0 11148 11812 0 suse10mbox01.llsa.local (pid11812) NSR info 35 %s(%d): Failed to get items from %s 3 23 17 libmapibrowse.cpp 1 3 468 0 5 Inbox

i can navigate to most other folders just fine, its just my inbox that seems to take forever. does the QUANTITY of emails matter? i ask because in testing the archiving function i imported significantly more emails back into my active mailbox, including service alerts etc. those totaled over 30,000 emails. normally they are sorted and archived for reference......

i let 10 min or so pass and tried agian and i could access my inbox.

again, any input regarding this would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Hi Miken,

What NW Server, NW client and NMM versions and build are we talking about?

Also, could you check with your AD admin if he is finding any slow response? I've seen in the past that slow AD responses lead to this GLR process to take long time.

Have you checked Application and System event logs on the Exchange node? Most likely you will be getting some errors in there.

Also, on which disk do you have the pagefile file? If it's on a heavily used drive I would recommend to move it to either a new disk or to a less used drive.

Also please try adding this registry Key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Legato\NetWorker\PowerShellEnabledRestoreFlag=1

Thank you,

Carlos

0 Kudos
NetworkSupport-
3 Silver

and resurrecting this. I hope your still around Carlos!

What does the powershellenabledrestoreflag key do?

0 Kudos
CarlosRojas
4 Germanium

Hi miken-rigyW

powershellenabledrestoreflag key adds the option to use PowerShell command instead of LDAP queries to retrieve Storage Group while performing Exchange GLR recovery.

See below:

https://community.emc.com/message/840592?et=watches.email.thread#840592

Thank you,

Carlos

NetworkSupport-
3 Silver

im running a new GLR with this in place. ill follow up!

i appreciate your help with this!

0 Kudos