Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

B

December 14th, 2017 04:00

Exchange 2010 Incr with NMM 9.2.1 BBB

Hi all,

I just have a customer who has upgraded to NetWorker 9.2 SP1 from 8.2.4. There are having some problems with Exchange 2010 DAG backup. It seems like even though we run full or incr backup everything is being run as a full backup. I have been reading a lot about NMM BBB and CBT and how this will improve performance etc etc but this is not what we are seeing. It looks like every backup is running as a full backup and still takes too long.

I have gone through the configuration several time just to be sure that everything is configured correctly and it seems like it.

As I understand it "log only" backup is no longer supported with BBB so how do I get an hourly backup running utilizing CBT with BBB? Pretty sure that CBT is enabled by default when BBB is used

Anybody have any idea on how to see if we actually leverage CBT in the Exchange backup? Or how to proceed in performance troubleshooting this?

Not sure what info to upload but feel free to ask and I will provide the necessary info.

36 Posts

Regarding all the backups being level full , it is known one and that is how it is designed with BBB when you backup directly to DD or AFTD ... 

Best Regards

Karthik

153 Posts

yep, but shouldn't BBB / CBT improve performance?

153 Posts

December 14th, 2017 05:00

ok, my customer is just a small enviroment with 2 TB and this completes in 8-10 hours no matter backup level. I'm guessing that 2016 is properly more optimized for BBB but still I would like to see some better performance

36 Posts

Indeed it should improve performance and in our environment exchange 2016 we use BBB and the full backup of 25 TB completes in 4 hrs and the incremental in 1 hr, we use 9.1.1.4 and NMM 9.1.1.4 , both server and client in same version

Yes with bbb backup performance should significantly increase . During incr backup nmm only backup up changed blocks . With 9.x and above after initial seed of full backup subsequent backups are incr forever in case backing up to dd. Did you reboot the systems post upgrade in order to enable write tracker . After reboot new backup will be full post that all backups should be incr forever.

Hope this helps

December 14th, 2017 06:00

You might also would like to see nmm logs for writetracker driver initialisation messages . That would mean incr is getting promoted to full .

Run the following

SC query nsrbbb

153 Posts

December 14th, 2017 06:00

Thanks for your reply. Yes both DAG members have been rebooted after post upgrade.

I will look through the log for the entries you mentioned.

Below is output of nsrbbb query so I guess that its running.

153 Posts

December 15th, 2017 04:00

Just a thought

I'm doing full backup in one policy and incr in another policy in NMC. Could this be why it defaults back to full in the incr policy? I would mean that this shouldn't affect since its the same client and same saveset.

153 Posts

December 15th, 2017 04:00

Hi,

I see some of these in the nmm log

The Exchange backup is promoted to Full because the WriteTracker driver re-initialized. The driver might re-initialize because the system was rebooted or because database files were moved to a different volume.

The server has not been rebooted and the databases has not moved to a different volume.

I tried forcing an incr but it doesn't seem that nothing actually happens. I don't see above log mesage that the backup is being promoted to full in the log but the backup fails after a long time on the large mailbox databases.

Could it be that Exchange 2010 VSS writers just not handles the BBB as well as perhaps Exchange 2016 and this is "expected" behavior?

December 15th, 2017 05:00

As long as both actions are using same ddboost device we are fine . You might want to stop and start nsrbbb before backups .

Sc stop nsrbbb

SC start nsrbbb

December 15th, 2017 05:00

Hey please check event log for any errors on MSexchangerepl . There might be some network issues with DAG. May be transport connection issues . If issues persist create SR with support, may be support already is aware of this issue and have fix for it like nsrnmmsv.exe patched binary

153 Posts

December 21st, 2017 02:00

Thanks for your replies.

Checked that we are running to the same device etc and everything looks fine. I will open up a SR with support and see what happens. I will update this thread if we get it resolved

No Events found!