Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 20th, 2015 08:00

Exclude a folder from a Saveset

Hi All,

Please bare with me as im new to this forum and relitvly new to networker and backups in general.

Networker Verision 8.1

I have a job scheduled to run every 30 minutes is 2 directories with about 200 sub directories each. There are currently on a incremental back up and run fin in about 2 to 3 minutes no problems.

We have had a request from a client that their client infomation with one of the 200 sub folders is NOT to be backed up.
I need a quick and efficient way to exclude the one folder from the save set.

Originaly i opened up the properties, drilled down the saveset and simply unticked the folder i wanted to exclude. In theory this works but Networker seems to then see each of the 200 other folders and seperate save sets and seems to scan each one individually. What originaly took a few minutes now takes 2 hours.

Whats the best and easiert was to exclude a folder from a save set.

Thanks again in advance and apologies for any blank looks you may get form me :-)

147 Posts

November 1st, 2015 12:00

Hi,

To create a directive that skips respective folder

Server Side:

e.g   TH_TO_MSSQL_DATA need to skip

• On the NetWorker Server, open the Directives window.
  • Click the Create button and call it SQL Directive.
  • Write the directive. For example:

<<"C:\PATH_TO_MSSQL_DATA">>

skip: * or +skip:

If the path for SQL server is not in C:\, please change the drive letter in the directive. The "+" before "skip" will apply the directive to all the sub directories under this directory.

• Click the apply button.
  • For the SQL client backing up non-SQL save sets, select the "SQL Directive".

Client Side

• Use a text editor to create a file and name it nsr.dir.
  • In this file type skip: * or +skip: * and save the entry.
  • Put this file in the SQL data directory,Drive_letter:\PATH_TO_MSSQL_DATA.

Moin

2.4K Posts

October 20th, 2015 12:00

You should leave the default save set entry (All) and specify an appropriate skip directive.

For UNIX/Linux clients:

< absolute_path_name >

+skip: *

For Windows clients:

< "absolute_path_name" >

+skip: *

Copy one of the default directives and modify it appropriately.

10 Posts

October 21st, 2015 00:00

Update: Dont worry, I have figured it out.

Hi Bingo,

Thanks for the message, I've looked into skip directives and have created a global directive in Networker Administrator.

How does it apply to a specific client? IE the file server? Or does the skip directive apply to every client within networker?

Thannks

October 21st, 2015 01:00

In addition to Bingo , there 3 several kind of directives with NetWorker :

Global directives (Bingo suggestion)

Administrators can create global directives by using the NetWorker Administration

window. These directives are stored as resources on the NetWorker server, and can be

selectively applied to individual clients by using the Directive attribute of the Client

resource.

NetWorker User local directives (Windows only)

On clients that run Microsoft Windows, users with local Windows Administrator or Backup

Operator privileges can create local directives by using the NetWorker User program.

These directives are stored on the client in a file named networkr.cfg, and are applied

throughout the client’s file systems during scheduled backups (or save operations that do

not include the -i option).

Local directive files (my favourite)

Users can create local directive files named nsr.dir (Windows) or .nsr (UNIX) anywhere on a

client file system that they have permission to create files. These directives apply only to

the immediate data within the path where the directive file is located.

regards,

-Nicola

No Events found!