Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

June 19th, 2011 02:00

Executing client backup returns a syntax error

Hello All,

Need your advice or a pointer.

My B. Server is 7.6.1 win2008 R2 and the SQL 2008 client is 5.2 .I use the exact same syntax as I used before ,syntax that worked:

client config: all is default exept ===>save set :MSSQL:

backup command:nsrsqlsv

remote user: tried all kinds with acess rights

I get an error:

"1 retry attempted usage: save [ ] [path ...]  options: [-BEiLKVSnquvx] [-s server] [-c   client-name] [-N name] [-e expiration time] [-w browse time] [-y retention   time] [-f dirfile] [-b pool] [-F file] [-I input file] [-g group] [-l level]   [-t date] [-m masquerade] [-W width]"

I have another backup server backuping the same client and it worked only differance is that backup is running on DataDomain device and the old one ran on tape.

Any idea ?

Thanks,

Alexey.

June 19th, 2011 08:00

Hello Alexey,

This is obviously a wrong syntax.

Can we please have the exact command you are running?

Thank you.

Carlos.

2.4K Posts

June 19th, 2011 09:00

Most likely you entered the backup command (nsrsqlsv) into the wrong field. Consequently, NW thinks it is a standard file backup and executes 'save' instead (look at the error) and of course the filesystem MSSQL: does not exist for file backups.

17 Posts

June 19th, 2011 21:00

Thanks for the reply guys ,but the syntax is rigth .

I have triple checked it (by the way I have 8 year experience with Networker) so the reason is else ware .May be the DataDomain is the answer or it config at the networker.I though may be some one had the same problem.

Any whay I will update you what was the solution.

Thanks again,

Alexey Dubin.

17 Posts

June 20th, 2011 04:00

Finaly I have managed to solve the problem!!!

The solution:

from client that I going to backup :

>nsradmin -p nsrexec

>print type :nsrla

>update auth methods :0.0.0.0/0,oldauth

>update administrator : *@*

works like a charm for many problems

note: Don't use this if you nead to mantain the networker security .

Regards all,

Alexey Dubin.

July 6th, 2011 05:00

I ran into this when I changed my SQL backups from tape to the Data Domain as well. Good catch!

There has to be a workaround that doesn't compromise security though.

14.3K Posts

July 6th, 2011 05:00

Zguy28 wrote:

There has to be a workaround that doesn't compromise security though.

Probably new nsrauth (which should be rssauth).  Current implementation is just too limited and I see no benefits (and security at this level comes as bonus so I hardly see it as something beneficial in first place).

July 6th, 2011 06:00

Alexey Dubin wrote:

Finaly I have managed to solve the problem!!!

The solution:

from client that I going to backup :

>nsradmin -p nsrexec

>print type :nsrla

>update auth methods :0.0.0.0/0,oldauth

>update administrator : *@*

works like a charm for many problems

note: Don't use this if you nead to mantain the networker security .

Regards all,

Alexey Dubin.

I actually just performed this and it still failed with the syntax error when going to DD. Do I need to restart services on the Networker server also?

17 Posts

July 6th, 2011 23:00

Hi,

I do agree with the previous response ,this level of security will not save you so you do not need it (only in especial cases-small or cheep environments –when saving money for sec products ).Now to the case, I do not really know you environment so I would recommend to 1.do the same change on backup sever and relating storage node(if there is one) .

2.clean the clients info in backup> server local hosts>backup server(instance)>delete backup client info.

3.clean client\program filels\legato\nsr\temp  files

4.check again the config is right and run the backup.

5.If there is still this issue do a debug level –D 9 when running the backup.

I want to help you so please describe your environment (FW,storage nodes,vtl/boost and ,NW version,DD OS version etc..) so it will be little bit easier.

Best wishes,

Alexey Dubin.

17 Posts

July 6th, 2011 23:00

Forgot to answer the direct question: it should work immediately  ,If it doesn't try to do the steps  I described .

B.R,

Alexey Dubin.

No Events found!