Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2011 10:00

Expired Save Sets not browsable

Hey all;

Been away from using NW for a while.  I've got some save sets that have expired but I do have the tapes.  I'm trying to ressurect them so that they are browseable.

I've found the index for the save set and ran a scanner -i -S ssid.

I then ran nsrmm -S ssid -w "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss" to make the ssid browsable.

I then ran nsrck -L7 -t mm/dd/yyyy clientname.

I still can't browse the save sets.  Anyone see what I'm missing?  NW 7.6.2 on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Thank you,

14.3K Posts

August 24th, 2011 03:00

Carter Fowler wrote:

3. ran nsrck -L7 07/15/2011 client name - loads the tape with the appropriate index and recovers.

4. still can't browse back to 07/15/2011.  (looking on 07/16/2011 - savesets were created on the 15th, index would have been created on the 16th).

I hope you used -t too   Now, if he saveset was done on 16th or index backup was done on 16th I'm not sure if -t for 15th would do the trick.  I would use 16th or 17th for sure.   But given the fact what you did so far, I think it would be much better to delete those ssids and scan them back (make sure to write down ssid number and position on tape).  If nothing, it would be faster.

14.3K Posts

August 12th, 2011 12:00

Carter Fowler wrote:

Been away from using NW for a while.  I've got some save sets that have expired but I do have the tapes.  I'm trying to ressurect them so that they are browseable.

I've found the index for the save set and ran a scanner -i -S ssid.

I then ran nsrmm -S ssid -w "mm/dd/yyyy hh:mm:ss" to make the ssid browsable.

I then ran nsrck -L7 -t mm/dd/yyyy clientname.

I still can't browse the save sets.  Anyone see what I'm missing?  NW 7.6.2 on Windows Server 2003 SP2.

Thank you,

First you need to change ssid status to not recycable.  Then you need to extend b/r to desidered date and the last thing is to run nsrck -L7.  scanner is not needed (unless you no longer have desidered index file, in such case make it notrecycable, change b/r and scan it or even simple - delete ssid and scan it back in).

14 Posts

August 15th, 2011 10:00

Tried that... I get error messages telling me the mode of that ssid can't be changed.  when I run mminfo against that ssid the ssflags tell me vrF, which is valid, recoverable and Finished right.  I can make the retention time longer but not the brows time.  Here's what I did...

1. ran mminfo to find the ssid of the index save set I'm looking for.

2. with the informatino from mminfo, loaded the tape the index save set resides upon.

3. ran scanner -S ssid -iv \\.\device.

4. once scanenr completed I tried to browse for save sets, not there.

5. ran nsrmm -S ssid -o notrecyclable - error - provide ssid of the clone instance - we don't clone these but I found the cloneid and tried it anyhow, of course, doesn't exist.

6. ran nsrck -L7 -t 06/28/2011 client (this is the day the index save set backed up).

7. tried to browse but nothing there from 27th - 30th of June.

2.4K Posts

August 15th, 2011 11:00

Sorry Carter,

you are going the wrong track.

If you want to change the status of a save set, you must apply the  "nsrmm ... -S ssid/cloneid". The cloneid is nothing but a timestamp  which exists for each save set, no matter whether you cloned it or not.

You must not recover the file index backup - just scan the retired save set. The info you need is embedded in the save stream.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 19th, 2011 03:00

ok carter here is what i  think you can do

run scanner -ivv -S ssid \\.\dev

to check browse and retention policies for the saveset use:

mminfo -q "ssid= " -p  -a

to change browse and retention policies:

nsrmm -S -e forever - w forever

hope this helps!

14 Posts

August 23rd, 2011 10:00

Thank you for your response.  Unfortunately, that does not help.  The odd part is... if I try a saveset recover, I can see the savesets from the date I want and the status is browsable.  Here's what I've done...

1. found the tape the index was on.

2. set the ssid of the index save set to notrecyclable and then browsable to 9/16/2011.

3. ran nsrck -L7 07/15/2011 client name - loads the tape with the appropriate index and recovers.

4. still can't browse back to 07/15/2011.  (looking on 07/16/2011 - savesets were created on the 15th, index would have been created on the 16th).

I must be missing something but what?  I see that I also missed mentioning this is an Exchange recovery.  We've never tried making expired savesets browsable in the past but I would think it would work similar to file savesets?  What's the difference?  I know the EXE EMC provided names the stores as "APPLICATIONS:\Microsoft Exchange 2010" so I've gone through marked every single ssid I could find as notrecyclable and set the browse to 9/16/2010.  Still no luck.

I used "mminfo -s nwserver -q"sscreate>07/15/2011 04:00:00 PM,sscreate<07/16/2011 04:00:00 PM",pool=MAIL -r"volume,pool,client,name,ssid,cloneid,ssflags,fragflags" so I should have everything from indexes to drives to VSS to APPs and i do.  The sslfags, some are marked with vrF, others, vF, the E was removed from all of them as I changed that manually for each one - a lot of them too.

Thanks,

No Events found!