Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 18th, 2011 01:00

Failing installation of NMM 2.2 SP1 on Win 2008 (SP2) and Exchange 2007

HI,

In non-productive environment I have a problem installing NMM 2.2 SP1 on a Windows 2008 SP2 (not an R2 release) and Exchange 2007.

While only OS is installed NMM can be installed properly. This is a virtual machine running on Windows 2008-R2 Hyper-V host, all is 64-bit environment.

The trouble starts as soon as Exchange is installed. I've tried Exchange 2007 SP2 and SP3 as well.

The installation is a very basic one with default paths and the standard Exchange roles (MB, HT,CA).

The installation of NMM starts and the part of NMM itself works properly.

Also the installation of Exchnage is detected and the credentials for access to Exchange are requested.

But when initiating the part where Replication Manager and PowerSnap will be installed an error comes up titled "Windows Installer" and the contents seems to tell about invalid usage of MSI.

Closing that windows brings up an other window with the error message "Replication Manager and/or PowerSnap failed to install - Error status: 1639".

Searching the web for that error code brings up indeed lots of artcles telling about incorrect usage of MSI but none of them helped to get a glue what is going wrong there.

I've tried NMM 2.2 SP1 build 95 and build 127 and NMM 2.3 (beta) as well, all behave the same.

Now I've started to install a second box in similar way and the error is still there, realy frustrating.

Did anyone else had such problem already and found out any solution or explanation?

Any hint will be welcome very much.

Regards,

Guenter

March 18th, 2011 03:00

Hi Güenter,

I'm glad the issue is now solved for you.

At this stage I'm not sure if the issue is related to NMM or to Microsoft's installer, however I've noted your request adn I'll forward it to the appropriate team for further consideration.

Thank you very much for the information.

Carlos.

March 18th, 2011 01:00

Hello Güenter,

Usually that problem comes up because of the path set for temporary files in OS. Because there is an space in the path the installation fails.

My suggestion would be to change the user variables to adjust the path for the tmp files. To do it so please go to the Server properties (Right click on "my computer" and select properties), then on the left hand side select "Advanced system settings" and, under Environment variables replace the following settings:

Replace TMP and TMP paths set by default with the following ones:

TEMP
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

Set it to:

C:\TEMP

TMP
%USERPROFILE%\Local Settings\Temp

Set it to:

C:\TMP

Please let me know if that helps.

Thank you.

Carlos.

117 Posts

Hello Carlos,

There are two news, a bad one and a good one.

The bad one first: the TEMP paths have already been without blank characters in the path but I did as per your suggestion anyway. But this didn't solve the problem.

The installation failed as before.

Now the good news: you gave me an important hint: blank character!

The account password I have setup keeps a blank space in it, unusual but not forbidden.

I've used debugging options to MSI and indeed the password in the call of setup.exe is not quoted, just see yourself:

Property(C): PSSETUPCMD = Z:\EMC-NW\Module\NMM\nmm22sp1_127_win_x64\win_x64\networkr\ps\setup.exe /s /v"/qb ALLUSERS=1 VSSREG=0 REBOOT=S RMCPORT=6728 RMDPORT=6729 DORMINST=1 RMEXCHDOMAIN=bsw.muc RMEXCHUSER=nwbu4exch RMEXCHPASSWORD=nSr virt DORMINST_EXCH=1 DORMINST_VSS=1 ADDLOCAL=Proxy,Host,VSS" /w

Now I've changed the password for this account to something without blank space and installation works!

Wouldn't this be worth to file an internal bug report for NMM?

Please keep in mind that NMM 2.3 will behave the same as I've tested the beta version already.

Regards,

Guenter

Hi again Güenter,

I've confirmed and this is not an NMM limitation but Microsoft/MS-DOS that cannot parse any command with blank spaces.

If you are running it from command line you could try

Property(C): PSSETUPCMD = Z:\EMC-NW\Module\NMM\nmm22sp1_127_win_x64\win_x64\networkr\ps\setup.exe /s /v"/qb ALLUSERS=1 VSSREG=0 REBOOT=S RMCPORT=6728 RMDPORT=6729 DORMINST=1 RMEXCHDOMAIN=bsw.muc RMEXCHUSER=nwbu4exch RMEXCHPASSWORD="""nSr virt""" DORMINST_EXCH=1 DORMINST_VSS=1 ADDLOCAL=Proxy,Host,VSS" /w

Adding 3 quotes at the begining and at the end of the field you want to pass to the command.

Please let me know if you need any further information.

Thank you.

Carlos.

117 Posts

March 22nd, 2011 03:00

Hello Carlos,

I didn't have the chance to test with the quoting sugested by you.

Just using single quotes dos not work, that has been tested.

Further I do not agree with you that this shall be a Microsoft issue.

This setup call is created by NetWorker product installation routine and should be correct in any case, or limited clearly to passwords without blank characters.

As I mentioned this problem occurred in non-productive environment. If this would have been in customer environment this would have been clearly a reason to raise an SR.

Regards,

Guenter

No Events found!