Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 27th, 2015 04:00

Help with error message autochanger disabled.

Hi,

I am running Networker 7.4 on RHEL 4 update 6.  The server was rebooted recently due to power outage.  When I open Networker up on gui and select the jukebox I get auto changer is disabled and my library status has been changed to disable.

I did enable the library status but nothing happens.  For example if I try to run any command I get  nsrlcpd is not running for this jukebox.

I have attached some screenshots which provides more info.

It was working fine until the reboot occurred.

How do I fix this issue?

Thanks,

Phani

2 Attachments

14.3K Posts

May 27th, 2015 06:00

I don't think I would ever define name of jukebox with space in it.  Actually, I thought that was not possible :-D

Anyway, most likely address of jukebox is not the same.  Do nsrjb -V and see what is the control port.

Then do inquire, inquire -cl and inquire -s and see what address jukebox is now on.  If lucky, all you have to do is to change control port in NW jukebox definition.

37 Posts

May 27th, 2015 13:00

Please try to reboot the NW server and make sure nsrlcpd process is up and running.

22 Posts

May 28th, 2015 01:00

Good Morning Hrvoje Crvelin,

Thanks for replying. below are the steps I have done so far.

1. I did try inquire and changer command to see the juke box details but came up with nothing.

2. when I got the message jukebox not available I had a look at the server to find out what are the devices attached to it through dmesg and found nothing.

we should be able to see 2 devices attached to the server but found nothing.

so we have requested the datacentre guy to have a look at the jukebox and before that we had shutdown the server and the data centre guy has powered off the library and removed all power and network cable including fibre channel and connected them back after a while powered them up.

He had a look at network setting of the library

Mode: Random

Auto Clean : Enabled

Autoload : N/A

Loop : N/A

Active Slots : 23

DHCP : off

and some IP addresses.

Now the library is scanning and moving the cartridges and these is a sort of error message saying 'Drive log out FB 00'

but still we cant see this from server side.

Any inputs?

Thanks,

Phani

1 Attachment

22 Posts

May 28th, 2015 01:00

Good Morning Raja,

We tried rebooting the server as well but no luck. I can see nsrlcpd is up and running before and after the reboot.

Any inputs will be great.

Thanks,

Phani

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

May 28th, 2015 03:00

Since you started with the conversation with the fact that the server was rebooted, it might be that the scsi address for the library has changed. Please provide the output of the following commands:

inquire

printf " . type: nsr jukebox\nprint\n" | nsradmin -i-

14.3K Posts

May 28th, 2015 23:00

If you can't see it from server side (OS), then this won't be resolved before that point has been addressed.  NW uses system calls to see the library and if that is not there, it won't work.

22 Posts

May 29th, 2015 01:00

Good Morning Crazyrov,

I did run that command and haven't got anything. First need to check why we arent able to see the jukebox from OS side?

Thanks,

P

2.4K Posts

May 29th, 2015 12:00

I also think that the SCSI address might have changed.

- First check whether the OS sees the 'new' device.

- Then INQUIRE will help to verify the current address.

- Finally adjust the address in the jukebox configuration.

This should do the job.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

June 1st, 2015 00:00

phani6039, yes if inquire is not able to see the devices then it must be something on the OS or the hardware side that is the poblem. What OS do you have your NetWorker server hosted on.

22 Posts

June 1st, 2015 02:00

Thanks for the reply bingo

Unfortunately still OS cant see the new devices. Not sure if am missing any thing here.

I had a look at the networker administrator gui interface which is hosted on the server and found the attached stuff. In  screenshot below it is using control port scsidev@1.0.1  under library section which is not at all visible on the OS level when I had a look with with inquire -sl and lsscsi. Also library status is disabled.

The datacentre guy had a look at the library and he had a look at the settings and performed reinventory of all tapes and confirmed everything ok from his library side.

Not sure where to start now as I am unable to see the scsi device that is configured under library.

Thanks,

Phani

3 Attachments

22 Posts

June 1st, 2015 02:00

Thanks for the reply crazyrov

Currently we have 7.4 Networker installed on RHEL 4.

I am attaching some of the screenshots of the Networker Admin gui interface for library, devices section.

In that I noticed the control port on the library scsidev@1.0.1 which is not at all visible from OS side as shown in the screenshot of inquire command. I used inquire -sl and lsscsi commands to see the attached scsi devices.

Networker media keeps complains about waiting for 1 writable volumes to the backup pool on server. - I believe this is because it cant see the library as we have 5 empty tapes in them.

Please let me know if I am missing anything.

Thanks,

Phani

3 Attachments

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

June 1st, 2015 04:00

On you backup server what do you see in the files /proc/scsi/scsi, also under the folder /dev do you see any device with the name nst*

22 Posts

June 2nd, 2015 07:00

Thanks for the reply.

Yesterday I have asked the datacentre guy to let us know how it is connected. this is what he said

The server and library are connected by a fibre channel. then I had a look from the OS and fibre channel that is using scsi adapter host 1 state is show as down. so I have asked him to check the status of LED lights and he came back saying that on the server side he can see flashing green but he cant see any light on the library side.

So I suspect faulty card in the library.

About /proc/scsi/scsi I cant see any hardware related to jukebox and also I wasn't able to see /dev/nst* on the server.

Thanks,

P

14.3K Posts

June 2nd, 2015 12:00

As there is no light coming from lib side, you won't see anything created on OS side neither as OS doesn't see it so it is understandable that no scsi devices are detected.

No Events found!