Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 13th, 2017 01:00

How can i connect EMC Networker Software VM to Tape Drive

i have EMC Networker software VM Installed in ESXI in Cisco UCS B200 ,, i need to make Networker software Able to save data to tape drive with ip  like EMC DATADOMAIN , did tape support FCOE or what the solution ?

263 Posts

March 13th, 2017 05:00

If you want to make a VMWare host  a NetWorker server or storage node, then  please look at the following, which is extracted from page 6-7 of the following document:

Configuring Tape Devices for EMC NetWorker

https://support.emc.com/docu8123_Configuring_Tape_Devices_for_EMC_NetWorker.pdf?language=en_US

Tape drives in VMware guest system

Support for the use of tape drives in a VMware Virtual Machine (VM) requires specific compatible hardware and VMware versions and must be configured through VMDirectPath.

VMDirectPath I/O enables a guest operating system on a VM to directly access the following:

• Physical PCI and PCIe devices connected to a host in a hardware passthrough mode.
  • An I/O device, bypassing the virtualization layer.

Any other use of tape drives in a VM is not supported.

This applies to both physical and virtual tape drives.

VMDirectPath I/O is a vSphere function that requires the following:

• Compatible I/O MMU on the host. Compatible I/O MMU can be found on servers equipped with Intel VT-d technology (for example, Intel Xeon Nehalem 55xx or later CPUs) or AMD IOMMU technology (for example, AMD Opteron 41xx or later CPUs).
  • VMware vSphere 4.0 Update 2, at a minimum.
  • Use of a compatible HBA. The VMware hardware compatibility list provides a list of supported HBAs.
  • A maximum of two HBAs per VM.

The use of VMDirectPath is incompatible with the following VMWare features:

• VMotion
  • Fault tolerance
  • Snapshots and VM suspend
  • Hot adding and removing of virtual devices

Note: SAN and Hotadd transport modes are not supported. Only the network block device (nbd) transport mode is supported.

96 Posts

Hello.

I suppose you want to back up VM environment to tape, right?. If so, the solutions depends on Networker Server version. If you have 8.2 or less, you can install VBA or VADP. For Networker 9, you only have VBA option.

I recommend you to install VBA because proxy VADP is a legacy solution and is not supported.

For tape backup, you will need a physical Storage Node connected to tape. You can set a Protection Policy with backup image + clone to tape.

Hope it helps.

24 Posts

thanks for reply my environment  .. i use Cisco ucs have many vms (include Networker 9.X VM) connected to Datadomain by IP ... i used EMC Backup and Recovery to link Networker with Vcenter...i need to  connect Tape Drive with Network and add it as tape volume in networker beside disk volume ( data domain ) and run backup jobs to save data to tape directly.

96 Posts

March 13th, 2017 06:00

What kind of interface your tape library has? Fibre Channel?

I am pretty sure you will need a phisical server to connect your tape library, and then add this server as storage node. This manner you can send backups from VM: via guess client for applications such SQL, or image vía VBA clone task.

263 Posts

March 13th, 2017 06:00

>my environment  .. i use Cisco ucs have many vms (include Networker 9.X VM) connected to Datadomain by IP ... i used EMC Backup and Recovery to link Networker with Vcenter...i need to  connect Tape Drive with Network and add it as tape volume in networker beside disk volume ( data domain ) and run backup jobs to save data to tape directly.

What you first need to determine is which NetWorker host will you use to connect to and access the tape drive?

If you plan to use one of your VMs to be a NetWorker Storage Node, then please first look at my previous reply that talks about how to connect and use SCSI devices on a VM. 

If you are connecting the tape drive to a physical host, then you need to install and configure this host as Networker Storage Node.  Note: the NetWorker server itself is already a NetWorker Storage Node.

Once you set up the storage node, then you need to configure a pool and update your VM NetWorker clients to send data to that storage node and pool.

Please consult the NetWorker Administrator guide, as well as the NetWorker VMware Integration guide for more information.

24 Posts

March 13th, 2017 07:00

thanks for rply

first as i understood .. i can't connect tape to networker (if it vm ) .... right ?.

second if i install networker in physical server (one of Cisco server in chassis ) and connect tape drive to fabric interconnect .. that can make networker connect to tape drive and see tape storage as data domain ????

263 Posts

March 13th, 2017 14:00

Yes you can connect a tape drive to a VM.  Please look at the document (Configuring Tape Devices for EMC NetWorker) that I mentioned for details on how this can be done, and contact VMware support for additional assistance.

For your second question... yes it is possible.  You need to make sure that:

• The drive you use, the NetWorker version, and the O/S is compatible as per the NetWorker Hardware Compatibility guide
  • the O/S must be able to detect and configure the tape drive.  If the O/S cannot see the tape drive, then NetWorker cannot use it, since NetWorker goes through the operating system.

24 Posts

March 13th, 2017 15:00

thanks

in my case i must install in physical ..

now i have only 1 server installed vm networker and storage node ...
i need to install new server with new name put same configuration .. how can i merge configuration or copy it ???
and while install new server i mark in ( storage node or server and client ) ?????

thanks for helping me

96 Posts

March 14th, 2017 11:00

Just install physical server with storage node package, connect tape library to this storage node, and add the new storage node to your existent networker server. You do not need to install a new networker server.

This manner you can send backups to tape from Data Domain to the remote tape device via VBA clone backup (for image level backups), or directly from your Virtual machines vía nw agent (for guess VM apps).

No Events found!