Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

August 3rd, 2013 14:00

How do I load tape while session in progress?

I have HP MSL2024 autochangers.  They have two removable magazines with 12 tapes each.  If networker isn't currently doing anything I use the front panel to unlock a magazine and load/unload tapes.  Works fine (I use barcode labeled tapes).

My problem is if I'm currently in the middle of a full backup and need to swap out tapes and add new ones.  Can I do this while a tape is in the drive writing?  Or do I have to wait until there are no more free tapes and the autochanger is idle?

I found if I use the front panel to try to unlock a drawer when a tape is writing then it aborts writing and Networker thinks the tape is full.  So I lose the rest of the tape doing it this way.

Thanks, Art

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 4th, 2013 19:00

Hi,

Do you have Import / Export (IE)Slots / IO / Load Ports  Configured on the autochanger.

If yes you can use Eject / Withdraw to place the tapes in the load ports / Import Export slots with out interrupting the autochanger operations & once done you can deposit the new tapes.

HTH

Hari Prakash.

2.4K Posts

August 5th, 2013 04:00

The manual handling should not interrupt a R/W process. If it does, i consider this a problem.

Your MSL2024 has at least one mailslot. As mentioned already, you must 'Eject/Withdraw' a tape with the NW Admin GUI here to remove it. If you want to insert a tape, put it in here, select the jukebox name, open the right-click menu and 'Deposit' it.

50 Posts

August 6th, 2013 09:00

If my memory is serving me properly then you might be able to use uma to move the tapes to the mail slot and then move it out using the robotic arm. I could be absolutely wrong as its been 3 years that Ive worked on the MSLs

65 Posts

August 6th, 2013 14:00

The MSL2024 has a 'sort of' mailslot.  It's just a designated slot in the left magazine of 12.  To access it you still have to unlock and remove the entire magazine.  I configured the unit not to use the mailslot which gives me one more slot for a tape.  So I can't use anything related to a mailslot.

I'm not sure how to check if I have "Import / Export (IE)Slots / IO / Load Ports Configured on the autochanger." as the first responder asked.  This is not shown in 'Properties' when I bring it up.  Is this something found on the web interface of the unit itself?

Again the unit doesn't seem to want to unlock a magazine when a tape is in the drive.  Perhaps this is because someone could put a tape in it's slot?  I don't know how to get around this.

Is there any way to 'pause' a backup session instead of stopping it?

No Events found!