Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

N

July 15th, 2010 15:00

How do you migrate Networker to a new host?

I have a UNIX host running 7.1 with Solaris 8 and need to move to a new host running 7.6 with Solaris 10 (same autochanger will be used)...

I got the rehosted licenses from the web interface (I hope they work with the upgrade), but I am not sure what files I need from the old host so that I do not lose my index information, client setups, etc.

Is there a quick and easy rule of thumb or am I lost trying to interpret the install documentation???

28 Posts

July 15th, 2010 15:00

Hi Tom,

There's a section on moving a NetWorker server in the Disaster Recovery Guide on PowerLink. That should help out quite a bit. Just search for 'networker disaster recovery' and you'll see the various versions that we have available.

Paul

123 Posts

July 16th, 2010 09:00

Hi,

As I understand you are right now on Networker 7.1 and want to move to a new host with Networker 7.6. Actually here you need to follow 2 process. 1. Upgrade 2. Migration.  You can't directly move from Networker 7.1 to 7.6 as there is a big difference in the database. First you need to upgrade to 7.6 and then migrate to the new host or viceversa. You can download the Disaster Recovery guide or Networker Proceedure Generator from powerlink which will provide you the steps to acheive this goal.

Arun

9 Posts

July 20th, 2010 11:00

Tom,

Make sure you have all the information about the old Networker server before trying the migration/upgrade.  This includes any old Networker server names/aliases that might still be out there as well as any nested indexes that could be as well from other installs/migrations in the past.  This kind of information is not included in the NPG since it "assumes" a clean server setup already exists, but in practice, that isn't always the case.

Good luck!

Kevin

15 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 10:00

Hello,

This is a topic which is starting to interest us at the moment.

However we are looking at this with a slight twist.

We recognise that moving from one host to another needs to be done at the same level of NetWorker, that makes entire sense.

The difference that we have is that we are looking at moving the NetWorker server from one o/s to another (in this case AIX to RHEL).

Would the DR documentation that you are suggesting cover cross o/s migrations, or just the simple move from one physical host to another where the o/s is the same (or at worst a slightly higher version of the same o/s)?

Any thoughts on the cross operating system migration would be useful.

Thanks

Felix

123 Posts

July 22nd, 2010 10:00

Hi,

Cross platform migration is not supported. You need to contact professional services for this. They will help you with this.

Arun

56 Posts

July 27th, 2010 03:00

Moving the NetWorker software to another operating system is not  supported due to the fact that the media database is not stored in a  portable format (XDR).

That is not a trivial task and that EMC strongly recommend that you engage EMC  Professional Services when attempting this.

Thanks.

Ahmed Bahaa

No Events found!