Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

July 11th, 2012 07:00

How to add tape to media index?

I have three tapes with data on them from another business location. They were made by Networker but not sure what version, although I think fairly recent. I need to restore their contents at my location. How can I read the contents of the tapes so I can determine what is on them? I mounted them and they are seen as "not in media index". I was unable to find info in the documentation that dealt with adding new/unknown tape contents to local index, although it may be just a terminology problem. I am using NW 7.6.1. build 472. Inventory and scanning did not seem to be what I was trying to do.

445 Posts

July 11th, 2012 09:00

Davek,

you would use the scanner command to populate the media database and client file index if required. I would say you sound as if you are going to restore all the data then just Media Database with saveset recovery would give you what you need.

You should create the pool which the original volume belongs to on your NetWorker server used now - running scanner command with -n flag (which means take no actions on info received) will give you this info.

Thereafter you should be able to see what is present on the volume.

See command line reference for the command syntax for different options.

Regards,

Bill Mason

122 Posts

July 11th, 2012 10:00

Is this possible from the GUI?

The files were backed up from an EMC NAS at another location. I would like to put them back on a different NAS.

445 Posts

July 11th, 2012 12:00

Davek,

Scanner command I don’t believe can be run from the GUI due to the different flag options you can take and also specifying the device the tape is loaded into.

As for NDMP backup - its more problematic. Scanner command for NDMP data only allows -m command as the index data cannot be recovered as its handled in a different way to "normal" client backups.

As for recovering to another NAS - usually other filers cannot decode the data written by a different Vendor's filer.

Hope that helps

Regards,

Bill Mason

122 Posts

July 11th, 2012 13:00

The NAS boxes are the same vendor - EMC. I am keeping my fingers crossed. I would think that because Networker made the tape, and the EMC made both NAS units, we should be able to read the tape. If not, what good is making tape backups if you have to keep all your old hardware around?

445 Posts

July 12th, 2012 00:00

Davek,

I am not NDMP expert but if its the same vendor then this should work. Let us know if you have any issues but if you do it would be best to raise a Support case with EMC then report the result here, but I think any issues you have will be minor - process related rather than compatibility. We have had Customers in the past who have expected to be able to swap vendor and restore.

Regards,

Bill Mason

No Events found!