Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 17th, 2016 19:00

How to backup all bootstrap and CFI?

Hi all,

I am use networker 9.0.1, I don't know where bootstrap is stored and how to backup all bootstrap and CFI. Please help me!

Thanks and regards,

155 Posts

September 15th, 2016 07:00

You don't have to bother about creating a group for backing up Bootstrap and Index. With 9.x on wards there is a default groups names "Server Protection" which takes care of bootstrap and indexes data for all the existing clients. Just select the desired pool to which you want to store data. Refer to Disaster recovery guide on how to recovery using bootstrap.

https://www.emc.com/collateral/TechnicalDocument/docu61098.pdf

Thanks,

Suraj S. Pujari

2.4K Posts

August 18th, 2016 04:00

At the end of an automatic backup (savegrp/nsrpolicy) the file indexes of the involved clients are backed up.

At the end of an automatic backup (savegrp/nsrpolicy) when the NW server is involved, the bootstrap will be created and be backed up.

Use mminfo to find whare the backups reside, for example:

mminfo -B                            for the bootstrap

mminfo -q "name=index: ,savetime>-1weeks" -r "client,name,level,savetime(25),ssid,pool volume" -ot

You can also use the Admin GUI (Media > Save sets).

Be aware that all these save sets can only be found for the NetWorker's client as they are backed up from here.

96 Posts

August 18th, 2016 10:00

Hello.

You cannot backup bootstrap by yourself. Bootstrap is not a saved file, you can't find it anywhere in your networker server. Bootstrap is automatically saved with a group where networker server is involved.

On the other hand, online CFI is a database in your networker server and it cannot be backed up. Usually, each file index is saved at the end of the client backup. You can modify this behaviour creating a client index backup group and saving index with an schedule.

Please refer Admin Guide and search for "backup file index to a separate pool".

Hope it helps.

41 Posts

August 24th, 2016 02:00

Hi @Bingo, @Ledugarte,

Thank for your support, I see in student guide for networker:

2016-08-24_16-53-57.jpg

Must I do for this guide? Please help me!

2.4K Posts

August 24th, 2016 13:00

Sigh .... where to start ?

First of all - this is a picture of a NW 8.x training, correct?. This is o.k. as most of the details still apply for NW 9 ... except the way how the 'bootstrap backup' is initiated. But first of all let's reveal all other secrets. And let's be very 'picky'.

1st mistake - There is no 'backup object' called 'bootstrap'.

Unlike the command "save /etc" or "save D:\" you cannot run "save bootstrap".

This will not work as the 'bootstrap' simply does not exist at all when you start the backup.

The bootstrap is also a process - in NW 9 you would say 'a workflow' (see below) which works llike this:

backup /nsr/res & /nsr/mm   (resource directory & media db as shown) and assign the save set name 'bootstrap' to it.

Such will then allow you to find this backup easier. Consequently, you will now be able to search for a save set name

called 'bootstrap' (mminfo -B ) which is called 'the bootstrap report'.

If you break it down to a NW core command (here for Unix/Linux) the "bootstrap backup" will use a syntax like this:

save -N bootstrap -g -l full /nsr/res /nsr/mm

In fact you can see the command if you run NW 7 or 8 (savegrp -vvv -G ...)

So you can name a save set whatever you want - it must not necessarily reflect to any contained backup object.

Please see the Command Line Reference for details.

2nd mistake -Ledugarte is wrong saying ...

On the other hand, online CFI is a database in your networker server and it cannot be backed up. Usually, each file index is saved at the end of the client backup.

-  The CFI is in fact a database (by default) residing on the NW server in /nsr/index/ . However as type and

structure are very different because it is not a 'Standard SQL DB', one does not recognize it easily.

-  You can back it up, of course.

-  It will only backup ed up at the end of a scheduled/an automatic backup of the client.

Bootstrap and Index backups will be generated automatically:

-  Index

At the end of of automatic client backup

-  Bootstrap

-  up to NW 8.x:    at the end of the backup group which backed up the NW server (its own client)

If the NW server is not a member of any group, NW will create a bootstrap when running any

group (just to be save).

-  since NW 9.0:   When the Server Protection policy will be started.

Please browse through the resource and its associated workflows for details. The bootstrap is

actually created when running the Server backup workflow.

Clear as mud?

41 Posts

August 24th, 2016 20:00

Thank all,

bingo, can you give me guide step-by-step for backing up and recovering Networker server 9.x?

2.4K Posts

August 27th, 2016 03:00

Sure .... but each environment is at least a bit different - and would potentially lead to a huge discussion.

And from my teaching attitude this is also not a good start.

So may I encurage you to sit down yourself and with

- the training,

- the manuals and

- your experience (which will only increase by your own practice) do that yourself

As you know, we will help you, if necessary.

Good luck.

September 5th, 2016 07:00

HI,

let me know what is the OS of your NetWorker server, probably I can share some thing with you.

NetWorker version is 9.0.1 ryt ??

Thanks

41 Posts

September 12th, 2016 01:00

I user Red-hat 6.7, Networker 9.0.1'

41 Posts

September 15th, 2016 20:00

Thanks, SurajPujari!

No Events found!