Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 21st, 2012 19:00

How to backup/recover full system

Hi,

Here is the situation.

One Windows 2003 R2 X64 file server, with two 500GB (Raid 1) and networker 7.6.2 client installed. But currently the disk usage is 95% more and needs to be expanded. I plan to add one 500GB disk and rebuild the three disks to RAID 5 so I can get 1TB space.  And I really don't want to reinstall the OS.

Is it possible to backup the system fully first, addthe disk and build RAID 5, and recover the system fully then? If so, how to do it?

Thanks very much in advance.

James

544 Posts

March 24th, 2012 02:00

Hi James,

Unfortunately, for Windows 2003 you will have to re-install the OS with the same name, IP address, services packs and patchs, then you can recover the latest VSS System files savesets taken from that machine ( This is what is called Online Recovery ). Sorry for that.

Hope that this answers your question.

Thanks,

Ahmed Bahaa

10 Posts

March 27th, 2012 23:00

Hi Ahmed,

Thanks for your reply.

If I install a new OS -- Windows 2008 R2 with the same name and IP address and networker user client, can I recover the savesets to this server? And because on the server there is a SQL server, can I recover it without re-install the SQL serve r software?

Regards,

James Lee

1.7K Posts

March 28th, 2012 00:00

Hi James,

I don't think that's feasible, as Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2 includes new writers that are not being backed up on a Windows 2003 server.

About the SQL is the same situation, besides you are backing up SQL DB's, not the SQL writers, so you will also need to reinstall SQL and then restore the SQL DB's into the newly installed SQL server.

I think would be better for you to reinstall Windows 2003 Server and SQL software, and then perform disaster recovery on that (Only for the OS) and then restore the SQL DB's. After that you can upgrade to Windows 2008 or Windows 2008 R2, but in that case you should engage Microsoft if needed.

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!