Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 26th, 2010 03:00

How to configure cluster in NETWORKER?

We already have a Networker installed on a single server, we need to implement High Availability cluster on this.

1.) Can the second node be configured on a virtual server?

a.) If yes, how to move the currently installed application from the physical server to the shared LUN?

244 Posts

October 26th, 2010 04:00

Please also have a look at the document NetWorker Cluster Installation Guide. I believe that you won't have any problem with moving NW client to the cluster, but it can be tricky to move NW server from stand alone to cluster environment (but I think it is doable). I also believe that it doesn't matter whether the second node is virtual (virtualized by VMware, Xen ....) or physical (if that's what you mean saying "Can the second node be configured on a virtual server") the software you'll use to develop cluster will determine that.

65 Posts

benzino wrote:

Hi Umesh,

Do you want to cluster NW server or just cluster one of your NW clients?

I need to cluster my existing Networker server.

263 Posts

First, please look at the Software compatibility guide to determine if NetWorker can be installed as a High Availability application on your cluster.  Not all cluster software is supported.

Information Protection Software Compatibility Guide

Second, please look at the NetWorker cluster installation guide for information on how to setup the NetWorker server as a High Availability application.

NetWorker 7.5 Cluster Installation Guide

To answer your question, in general, a virtual node can be configured to run on any and all physical nodes. How to implement this will depend on the cluster software you are using.

244 Posts

Hi Umesh,

Do you want to cluster NW server or just cluster one of your NW clients?

14.3K Posts

October 27th, 2010 12:00

Umesh Kumar wrote:

We already have a Networker installed on a single server, we need to implement High Availability cluster on this.

a.) If yes, how to move the currently installed application from the physical server to the shared LUN?

Yes, you can do that.  The key question here is which cluster will you use - OS native one or some solution outside that (like Veritas cluster or Autostart)?  Each cluster has some specifics, but mostly they have same principle. I'm not sure I understand when you ask if second node can be configured on virtual server, but to move appl from physical node to virtual one is easy.  In theory, and practice, on shared lun you would keep nsr database (/nsr/res) which you could flip between two or more physical nodes.   What might have escaped you at this point and which you should also keep in mind is:

- you need power edition license

- you need composite hostid for licensing now

- your server name will change unless you will migrate name of previous physical server to be now name of virtual server (and name physical something else).

65 Posts

October 27th, 2010 23:00

Hrvoje Crvelin wrote:

Umesh Kumar wrote:

Yes, you can do that.  The key question here is which cluster will you use - OS native one or some solution outside that (like Veritas cluster or Autostart)?  Each cluster has some specifics, but mostly they have same principle. I'm not sure I understand when you ask if second node can be configured on virtual server, but to move appl from physical node to virtual one is easy.  In theory, and practice, on shared lun you would keep nsr database (/nsr/res) which you could flip between two or more physical nodes.   What might have escaped you at this point and which you should also keep in mind is:

- you need power edition license

- you need composite hostid for licensing now

- your server name will change unless you will migrate name of previous physical server to be now name of virtual server (and name physical something else).

I'm planning to install VERITAS CLUSTER. What i meant by second node is.. Presently the Networker is installed on a physical server, i want to know whether i can install the second node on a virtual server. (Sorry for confusing)

I went through the Networker Cluster guide and it's helpful for this implementation.

BTW, we are using Networker- Network edition, EMC says that clustering is possible with an additional license. Why need POWER EDITION?

244 Posts

October 28th, 2010 01:00

Hi,

As Hrvoje wrote you have to be aware about new NW server virtual name. The best way is to use the same name for new cluster service as the previous stand alone host.

14.3K Posts

November 1st, 2010 08:00

Umesh Kumar wrote:

BTW, we are using Networker- Network edition, EMC says that clustering is possible with an additional license. Why need POWER EDITION?

That additional license is - power edition   I do not believe that has been changed in recent versions.

No Events found!