Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 11th, 2014 04:00

How to find out what client that is requesting volumes

Hello!

Just a quick question that someone hopefully can anwser pretty fast.

How can i find out exactly what client that is requesting writable volumes? Sometimes we get the following message in the alert log and since we have alot of client with custom archive script it's hard to find out which one it is.

2014-04-11 12_55_04-Remote Desktop Manager [sevis003bu] - Trial version expire in 0 days.png

Im using Windows Server 2012 R2 and Emc Networker 8.1.1.3.

Thanks in advance.

14.3K Posts

April 11th, 2014 04:00

I can't say for sure if entry in jobd is created for client initiated backups while in pending state - if yes then that would be one way.  Another (cheap) way would be simply to have default ready (you can stage it to regular volume later) and then you see which job it is (and fix it for next run).

2.4K Posts

April 11th, 2014 06:00

Once you know how to use the jobquery command, it is pretty simple:

1. Find out the client hostname by querying NetWorker's job DB:

C:\>jobquery
NetWorker jobs query utility.
Use the "help" command for help.
jobquery>
jobquery> . type: save job; job state: ACTIVE; parent job id: 0
Current query set
jobquery>
jobquery> show host
jobquery>
jobquery> p
                        host: ;
jobquery>
jobquery> q

C:\>

Be careful - the status is case sensitive!

Unfortunately, the list about the job status' is still missing in the Command Line Reference manual.

2. If you need the know user name as well, log into the client and find out which user started a 'save' command.

14.3K Posts

April 11th, 2014 07:00

bingo , does this work with client initiated backups too?  And if yes, is ACTIVE state what corresponds to pending session?

35 Posts

April 11th, 2014 07:00

Hello Bingo and thank you for this!

I tried it but I think I must misunderstood something, im not that good yet with commands like nsradmin and jobquery.

I assume that i should set parent job id to something?? If so, how can i know what the job id is? Like i said I have now clue what client that is creating this "varning".

This is what I get when running the command that you wrote:

NetWorker jobs query utility.

Use the "help" command for help.

jobquery> . type: save job; job state: ACTIVE; prent job id: 0

Current query set

jobquery> show host

jobquery> p

No resources found for query:

job state: ACTIVE;

prent job id: 0;

type: save job;

jobquery>

2.4K Posts

April 12th, 2014 05:00

Yes it does - which is obvious because 'save' does not know whether it has been started by savegroup.

If the session is saving data, it will change the state to SESSION AVCTIVE.

Try to write to both - a mounted and an unounted volume (2 different pools, of course) and compare the job states.

2.4K Posts

April 12th, 2014 05:00

The parent ID is obviously the one which will start the job. I think 0 will indicate that it has not 'really' started yet.

I have just verified the command with a new save - i do not know exactly what will happen when the a save set will continue on the next volume. In this case i would omit the parent job id.

No Events found!