Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 17th, 2019 01:00

How to get a Clone Backup via tags over vCenter

Hi everybody,

I use NW 18. I can get VM backups via their tags from vCenter to DataDomain. I also want to take a clone backup of some of the VMs whose backups have already been taken. To make it clear and sum up, VM1 has backup and clone tags. VM2 has only backup tag. When I say get backup which VMs has backup tag, it takes both VMs' backup to Datadomain. I want to say get backup which VMs has clone tag to another Datadomain. Do you know how can I do that? Is there anybody who has tried and succeed?

Thanks in advance.

8 Posts

January 12th, 2020 23:00

Thanks everybody who responsed and sorry for late reply. I tried adding new policies and configure them as they have backup and clone actions. It worked. To explain it with an example

I have 10 VMs and I want to take backups of all to first Data Domain 1, take clone last 5VMs to Data Domain 2. For the first 5 VMs I created policy_1 which has only backup action, for last 5 VMs I created policy_2 which has backup and clone actions. I configured policy_1's rule to get vms which have backup tags and policy_2's rule to get vms which have clone tags. At the end I could take backups of all to the DD1 and take clones of last 5 to DD2.

PS: It was preconfigured DDs and Networker Manager. There was already backup and replication settings. So I didn't configure anything else.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

October 17th, 2019 05:00

@syskemal, Can you elaborate more ? Are you referring to backups between DD and VCS or NetWorker and VCS ? Because as far as I am aware you can tag only the client instance in NetWorker but not the VM instance that is selected for backup.

2.4K Posts

October 17th, 2019 05:00

I just verified the scenario with NW 19.1.1.1 and checked which clients will be assigned to their appropriate dynamic groups depending on their tags. It works it worked fine with me.

Do not forget that you must not necessarily run the backup - just select the dynamic groups and you will see which clients have been assigned.

Of course, if this appears to be correct any you still see both clients processed although you could verify that only one is a member of this dynamic group, then of course that would point to a bug.

8 Posts

October 18th, 2019 00:00

@crazyrov  I mean I take VM (which are tagged in vCenter) backups to DD using Networker. On the vCenter I tagged VMs for backup, and their type. So I can create backup rules on NW for each type using tags. For instance, I tagged 20 VM as a backup and ubuntu, 30 VM as a backup and centos. With this way, I can create rules to take VMs which have tags named backup and ubuntu. After defining groups and policies, I can take backups to DD succesfully. I think that is clear up to now. I have 2 DDs one for on-site backup the other one for clone backups. As far as I know they are connected through replication port. My main problem is how can I send my clone(replica) backups (which are tagged for clone) to my second DD. I hope I could explain it clearly.

8 Posts

October 18th, 2019 00:00

@bingo.1  I have checked Dynamic Groups. It seems so useful. But I still try to figure out my main problem which I repplied to @crazyrov 

2.4K Posts

October 18th, 2019 01:00

This is not controlled via the client setup but by the workflow/pool definition.

If I understood you correctly, this is what you want to do - correct?

example.jpg

The solution is easy: make sure that only volumes for the correct pool(s) exist at the right site.

4 Operator

• 

1.3K Posts

October 18th, 2019 22:00

I haven't tried the tagging on the VCenter yet, but I think I have a solution for you. Well, you can use separate pools for your respective tags.  Since clones do not consider tags but they do consider bifurcation based on pool, backup level, workflow etc. you can use the pool name to send the backup of a particular tag to your offsite DD. I hope this is what you are looking for ?

No Events found!