Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 13th, 2012 20:00

How to kill or stop 'filesys destroy and-zero' on data domain

Hi,

Ran filesystem destroy on a data domain system DDOS 5.2 around 3 days ago, had selected and zero as an option. Its still going on.

Is there any way we could kill or cancel it? Any command?

We want to redo the file system asap after we wipe out the curremt fileystem but this operation is going on forever.

Thanks.

14.3K Posts

November 14th, 2012 11:00

I can't see why you just didn't reinstall it from USB image then - it is much faster

I have no idea how much disks you have, but adding zeroing does add hours to this operation, but I doubt it would be 3 days.  I would also never run this on 5.2 which is still not GA - I would recommend to give call to support to check it out. You can also check logs on the system by mounting ddvar and checking debug folder. It might be that you had some operation going on and it is stuck now.  There is a way to stop it by getting into priviledge mode and escaping to shell, but this action should be done by support and certainly not before eveyone is clear on what is going on.

14.3K Posts

November 14th, 2012 20:00

Good to hear it is sorted out now.  I'm running 5.1.1 now and my next updated candidate is 5.1.3 (currently RA).  I know GA code for 5.2 is expected in December, but I plan to stick with more mature code 5.1.x while I can. The only thing I have seen in 5.2 - feature wise and what it would apply to my environment - is enhancement in cleanup process (speed wise), but I don't have issues with it so I can skip that one for now.

25 Posts

November 14th, 2012 20:00

Thanks Hrvoje.

There is a defect in this version of DDOS.

The "filesys destroy and-zero" hangs indefinitely           Bug id is 70215

Needed to contact support and only then they could kill it with privledge account.

25 Posts

November 14th, 2012 22:00

I understand 5.2.1.2 is already released ?  As i see release notes on mydatadomain portal.

Just curious how do you figure out RC,RA and GA codes, i mean what source do you use?

14.3K Posts

November 15th, 2012 12:00

On my datadomain under download section you will get list of codes and their status.  For example, under GA section you will see that highest GA code is 5.1.1.0, but when you check release notes you will see there are other post versions, but they are not GA - they are targetted towards specific customers who might have specific issue which those patches address.

Further, you will find initial availability releases - these are usually new releases targetted towards new features and only if you need that feature you should use it - otherwise wait for GA.  5.2.1.0 is such release. 

RA (restricted availability) is release like 5.1.3 or 5.2 at the moment where EMC needs to give green light that you can use it.

14.3K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 13:00

Small follow-up - 5.2 has been GA'ed today (more precisely, release named 5.2.1.0-331816 (same that was initial release since Septermber 24th I believe).  As per release notes, 70215 should be fixed in that release.

No Events found!