Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 24th, 2010 06:00

How to rebuild index entries from a recoverable save set of type NDMP.

Hi,

Last week a user asked me to recover a file from a save set marked recoverable and of type NDMP. I went through all the Administrator Guide but did not find a way to get the index back with information of objects saved from that save set.

According the manual, I tried the procedure "Restoring a save set entry to the client index only" but each time I ran the nsrmm command, I got the message Cannot exceed the browse time of a recoverable save set 4176464947, Is there a way to get back the index for that save set.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

5 Posts

Hi,

Sorry but the saveset is not marked recycled but recoverable.  I looked in the Command Reference Guide, I don't see how to mark a recoverable saveset in (not)recoverable.

Can you be a little more explicit in the way I have to use the commands nsrmm and nsrck -L7.  Like explained in my previous message, I went through a lot of books and post but did not find any valid explanation for my case.

Thanks a lot for your advices.

14.3K Posts

If saveset is marked as recycled, you must first mark it as not recycled using nsrmm and then do nsrck -L7 for that client for -t which contains index data you wish to see.  With nsrmm you should not change expiration date, but rather status of the saveset.  On 7.4.5.x, from what I have seen, nsrck -L7 will then reset both browse and retention (which does not seem to be what docs say as they state you should prolong retention after changing state).

14.3K Posts

June 24th, 2010 07:00

You can't scan the NDMP stream for index db - this is clearly outlined in docs.  Not sure when DSA is used though, but I assume same thing there.

You can still restore the data with ssid restore and if you know exactly the path (case sensitive) which you are restoring.

5 Posts

Hi,

I tried this already, but unfortunately we have not backuped the index.  I just want to do like any other backup program, reading a tape and merging the info with the actual index stored on the server, is this so difficult ?. I remember doing this in BackupExec with the Merge command and this was done in a snap.

Thanks for your advices

5 Posts

Hi,

I know that, I just want to find an easy way to read a tape and to put back the all tape info in the index, it's maybe not possible !, If this is the case, EMC should do something about this.

Thanks for you advices.

445 Posts

Kvvcr,

The commands you need are within the following solution which you should be able to access via Powerlink. Its not specifically for NNDMP but the commands are the same: -

esg98649 – Recovering backups with expired browse/retention times.

Regards,

Bill Mason

14.3K Posts

June 24th, 2010 12:00

Well you can't.  ndmp stream is done by ndmpd - this is not client side EMC program, but something by filer.  Because this stream does not belong to backup application scanner is not able to handle it.  Obviously if your saveset is recoverable you can do ssid restore.  You can also bring back index with nsrck -L7, but you claim you didn't save which is your fault.

5 Posts

June 28th, 2010 07:00

Hi,

Thank  you for the explanations, I appreciate. I guess I have to live with it

No Events found!