Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 25th, 2008 06:00

How to select Specific pool with Client User GUI

NW 7.3.3 (510) - Windows 2003R2

I am trying to performing a Client initiated backup but am unable to select a specific pool. The backup only point to the "Default" pool. I thought there was an option to select a specific pool, I can not find it. When I select "Operation Options" I just get a blank line.

Any Idea?

455 Posts

June 25th, 2008 07:00

I can run a save cmd using the CLI. I want to be able to do it using the Client GUI.

I have tried to put the command "save -b Daily" in the blank line on the Local Save Operation Screen, I get an error message;

"winworkr: Invalid VSS save operations value Missing ":".

Thanks
Habib

724 Posts

Well, so that field is for VSS use only. I don't know any other options that could give you a chance to select pool using the GUI.

So you can try to use only cmd, or work with your pool's selection criteria, but it depends a lot on how you have this configured (example: a pool restricted to a specific group won't be able to receive data from a manual backup, at least using the options you have in GUI).

724 Posts

From command line you could use "-b pool". Try to put this on the blank line you get (I'm not sure, but I believe this field is where you define options for the backup that you don't have on GUI itself, like selecting pools)

455 Posts

June 25th, 2008 08:00

Currently I am using only one pool and I have 15 Groups assigned to it. All my volumes are farmatted and belong to that one pool.

In the Exchange/SQL module there is an option to setect pool, I thought there would be one in the Client GUI as well.

Thanks for your help.
Habib

198 Posts

June 26th, 2008 03:00

Hi,

From the NetWorker client GUI, unless you have specified another pool to the default, all client initiated backups go to the default pool.

To change the pool from default to another try this --

Create a Pool with NetWorker with the following parameters:

Pool Name: Manual Backup
Comment: Manual Backup Pool

Groups:

Levels: Full and Manual

NOTE: The browse and data retention periods for any backups created using the NetWorker User GUI are set to the longest periods defined within NetWorker for the client. To change these values, the command "save" must be run with the relevant flags to set these values from the command line/script.

Hope this helps

IKP

455 Posts

June 26th, 2008 09:00

Hi,

You said "unless I have specified another pool to the default" This is exactly what I want to do via the GUI. I can not see anywhere which give me the option to select a specific pool.

Tks
Habib

14.3K Posts

June 27th, 2008 07:00

As far as I know you can't do that with client side GUI for file system (except that in theory if you set up pool via environment variable it might work).

455 Posts

June 27th, 2008 08:00

Silly question !!

How do you setup pool via environment variable?

Thanks
Habib

14.3K Posts

June 30th, 2008 01:00

It depends on your shell (UNIX) or set command (Windows). I believe nsrexecd needs to be restarted to pick up those so usually you would put it in to startup script (UNIX) or as system variable (Windows). But I would not go down that path even if it works that way.

March 2nd, 2012 13:00

I think if you edit the new media pool you created and ensure you select all backup levels including manual in the selection criteria and initiate a backup with the client gui it should backup to that pool as long as 'manual' isn't set in the selection criteria for any other group.

No Events found!