Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 26th, 2010 02:00

How to skip VSS savesets?

Searched everywhere, tried everything, but I just can't find the correct syntax for skipping VSS savesets using a directive.

Can anybody help me with this, or is it just not possible?

14.3K Posts

November 26th, 2010 18:00

John Claessen wrote:

Hi Arun,

Thaks for your answer, but I don't want to switch off VSS on the client.

I tried skipping the savesets by explicitly mentioning their names.

But for some reason that doesn't work on VSS savesets.

I assume what you are asking is that you wish to use skip directive against some VSS SYSTEM savestes, right?  At the moment that is not possible.  If MS would allow this, EMC would be in position to implement it, but I believe current model by MS does not allow that.

123 Posts

November 26th, 2010 02:00

Hi John,

If it is Windows 2003 you can use VSS:*=off on the backup command of the client. Also you can explicitly mention the savesets. For eg: C:\, D:\ etc

Regards,

Arun

10 Posts

November 26th, 2010 03:00

Hi Arun,

Thaks for your answer, but I don't want to switch off VSS on the client.

I tried skipping the savesets by explicitly mentioning their names.

But for some reason that doesn't work on VSS savesets.

263 Posts

November 26th, 2010 05:00

Using the NetWorker backup option "VSS:*=off" does not turn off VSS on the Windows 2003 system.  It just tells networker not to backup using the shadow copy.

Note:  Only applicable with Windows 2003.  With Windows 2008, this cannot be used.

10 Posts

November 27th, 2010 01:00

That's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know where I'm at now.

Thanks.

263 Posts

November 27th, 2010 13:00

You cannot use directives to skip System save sets, or VSS system savesets because of the following reasons:

- in the directive, when you sepcify a path, eg: << dir >>,  the dir has to be an absolute path on the file system of whatever operating system it is being used on.

- the system save sets, eg system state, system files, VSS system boot, etc, does not specify an absolute path in the Windows file system.  Rather, they refer to a specific set of data to be backed up.  i.e. There is no c:\system state, unless you actually created one.

This is why you cannot use directives on the (vss) system savesets.

This is the same reason why you cannot use directives to skip the exchange saveset: msexch:.   msexch does not refere to a path in the file system, but rather a database consisting of different files located in different areas of the file system.

Please look at the NetWorker administrator guide for details on what each system saveset backs up.

Only recourse is not to use saveset=All, but instead explicitely state which disks and/or directories you want to back up.

144 Posts

February 15th, 2011 02:00

I find it very unfortunate that it's not possible to skip the VSS savesets because, it would be very good if we could back them up with a different group than the filesystem. This is going to be very important in Server 2008 DR backup in 7.6.2 because the DR backup will need to backup all the critical volumes and the DR saveset is just a part of the VSS savesets.

But I wonder, is it possible to specify saveset All with an parameter to skip the VSS savets and only take the filesystem? Thus not using the directives to skip the VSS savesets?

Regards,

Johannes

March 4th, 2011 14:00

Hi,

I discovered recently that using the value vss-ntfs in the "save operations" field does what you are looking for. I noticed this while observing an EMC engineer working a webex session with a customer.  I tried to find mentions of this in the documentation set, but it does not seem to be there.  I hope I am remembering it correctly. When he used it, it backed up only the C: and D: drives, using VSS but none of the other VSS system savesets.

13 Posts

March 7th, 2011 00:00

anyone else know anything about this "vss-ntfs" ?

does this go under "save set" or "save operations"? no value assigned to it?

saveset "All" and save operations "vss-ntfs" ?

//henric

144 Posts

March 7th, 2011 01:00

We just made the discovery of the all-ntfs saveset a few weeks ago. It changes so much how we can manage the storage for our NetWorker because we have Avamar deduplication. To use the saveset All-ntfs makes it possible for us to use the All saveset but at the same time exclude the VSS system state savesets and back the VSS System state savesets to the deduplication. That's very benefitial because VSS system state save sets have a very high deduplication ratio, but at the same time take alot of space (10GB each day per server) on a non deduplication media.

There is information about this saveset on page 63 in the 7.6.1 admin guide but not much. I'm so surprised that this has not been documented more. It seems that there is not much knowledge about this feature. If you look up All-ntfs on the powerlink knowledge base you probably just find this discussion thread.

I wander if there is a penalty by using this method of excluding the VSS savesets?

Johannes

36 Posts

March 7th, 2011 02:00

Thanks for sharing this information!

Using the "all-ntfs" as the clients saveset is a very nice option.

Now I can make daily backups of the filesystems and weekly backup of the VSS savesets with the normal "all" saveset.

Works with 7.5.3.4 version.

10 Posts

Well Joka, that just did it! Just did a test and VSS savesets where not backed up.

Thanks a lot, been looking for this for a long long time.

But there is one thing I don't understand in your comment:

"To use the saveset All-ntfs makes it possible for us to use the All saveset but at the same time exclude the VSS system state savesets...."

OK, got that, it's what we are aiming for.

.....and back the VSS System state savesets to the deduplication."

Now i'm confused!

Is that Avamar? If yes, how did you do that?

144 Posts

By using the saveset All-ntfs makes it possible to keep on using the directives as exclude lists instead of using include lists in the saveset (hence, saveset All-ntfs captures all the volumes).

Now we can have special "VSS system state" group with all the clients using the All-ntfs saveset. But in that group we use include list saveset with all the VSS savesets (VSS system fileset, VSS ASR, VSS system state etc,)

That group writes to a pool on the Avamar system, thus the VSS savesets don't take any capacity on the EDL in our case, and deduplicate very well on the Avamar grid. Thus we are using our capacity much better.

Note: This is going to be very important it NetWorker 7.6.2 when the disaster recovery savesets appears for Server 2008 clients. That is, if the Disaster recovery saveset is going to be part of saveset all. It's going to be very important to deduplicate the DR saveset. Those savesets are going to be huge because it needs complete drive C: plus any other drive that has DLL's installed on it.

Johannes

736 Posts

April 6th, 2011 00:00

Hi,

As was pointed out here, the all-ntfs keyword is relatively undocumented.  To remedy this, I have created the following knowledgebase article which explains the function of this keyword:

esg120419 - How to backup Windows fileystems while excluding System State data

-Bobby

144 Posts

April 6th, 2011 02:00

Hi Bobby.

Thank you for this good article. I wish I had realized this as soon as NW 7.5.1 was out since this helps us make more use of our EDL capacity.

I think it's a good development that in 7.6.2 the VSS savesets won't be part of the save set All.

I also see that the FilesNotToBackup registry key is going to be very important in NetWorker 7.6.2 because of disaster recovery save set that is backed up as part of Full backup of save set All.

Regards,

Johannes

No Events found!