johnclaessen
1 Nickel

How to skip VSS savesets?

Jump to solution

Searched everywhere, tried everything, but I just can't find the correct syntax for skipping VSS savesets using a directive.

Can anybody help me with this, or is it just not possible?

0 Kudos
15 Replies
Daniea3
2 Iron

Re: How to skip VSS savesets?

Jump to solution

Hi John,

If it is Windows 2003 you can use VSS:*=off on the backup command of the client. Also you can explicitly mention the savesets. For eg: C:\, D:\ etc

Regards,

Arun

0 Kudos
johnclaessen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi Arun,

Thaks for your answer, but I don't want to switch off VSS on the client.

I tried skipping the savesets by explicitly mentioning their names.

But for some reason that doesn't work on VSS savesets.

0 Kudos
wlee4
2 Iron

Jump to solution

Using the NetWorker backup option "VSS:*=off" does not turn off VSS on the Windows 2003 system.  It just tells networker not to backup using the shadow copy.

Note:  Only applicable with Windows 2003.  With Windows 2008, this cannot be used.

0 Kudos
ble1
6 Indium

Jump to solution

John Claessen wrote:

Hi Arun,

Thaks for your answer, but I don't want to switch off VSS on the client.

I tried skipping the savesets by explicitly mentioning their names.

But for some reason that doesn't work on VSS savesets.

I assume what you are asking is that you wish to use skip directive against some VSS SYSTEM savestes, right?  At the moment that is not possible.  If MS would allow this, EMC would be in position to implement it, but I believe current model by MS does not allow that.

0 Kudos
johnclaessen
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

That's not what I wanted to hear, but at least I know where I'm at now.

Thanks.

0 Kudos
wlee4
2 Iron

Jump to solution

You cannot use directives to skip System save sets, or VSS system savesets because of the following reasons:

- in the directive, when you sepcify a path, eg: << dir >>,  the dir has to be an absolute path on the file system of whatever operating system it is being used on.

- the system save sets, eg system state, system files, VSS system boot, etc, does not specify an absolute path in the Windows file system.  Rather, they refer to a specific set of data to be backed up.  i.e. There is no c:\system state, unless you actually created one.

This is why you cannot use directives on the (vss) system savesets.

This is the same reason why you cannot use directives to skip the exchange saveset: msexch:.   msexch does not refere to a path in the file system, but rather a database consisting of different files located in different areas of the file system.

Please look at the NetWorker administrator guide for details on what each system saveset backs up.

Only recourse is not to use saveset=All, but instead explicitely state which disks and/or directories you want to back up.

0 Kudos
joka2
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I find it very unfortunate that it's not possible to skip the VSS savesets because, it would be very good if we could back them up with a different group than the filesystem. This is going to be very important in Server 2008 DR backup in 7.6.2 because the DR backup will need to backup all the critical volumes and the DR saveset is just a part of the VSS savesets.

But I wonder, is it possible to specify saveset All with an parameter to skip the VSS savets and only take the filesystem? Thus not using the directives to skip the VSS savesets?

Regards,

Johannes

0 Kudos
jhope-bailie
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Hi,

I discovered recently that using the value vss-ntfs in the "save operations" field does what you are looking for. I noticed this while observing an EMC engineer working a webex session with a customer.  I tried to find mentions of this in the documentation set, but it does not seem to be there.  I hope I am remembering it correctly. When he used it, it backed up only the C: and D: drives, using VSS but none of the other VSS system savesets.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Jejje1
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

anyone else know anything about this "vss-ntfs" ?

does this go under "save set" or "save operations"? no value assigned to it?

saveset "All" and save operations "vss-ntfs" ?

//henric

0 Kudos