Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 22nd, 2016 02:00

HowTo: manual backup of sql federated db

Hi All,

I'm trying to start a manual backup of a Federated sql db from the sql server using some gui but no luck. It's a sql 2012 availability group cluster. backup from nmc works fine, but from nmsql or ssms plugin not. Keep getting the message that the db can only be backupped using federated workflow. The dcumentation doesn't describe this.

Recovery works fine after following the documentation.

2.4K Posts

August 22nd, 2016 08:00

Once again we can just once again about the NW/NWM versions.

The general intention is not to run a manual backup at all. However, it should be possible.

Just run the group from the command line and have a look at the command NW uses for the backup. Then execute it appropriately.

An even easier method for an ad-hoc backup would be to ...

- create a new group which overrides the level (Level=full) but has Autostart=disabled

- add the client to the group

- start the group manually whenever you need it.

51 Posts

August 22nd, 2016 23:00

thanks for your answer:

I'm sorry: nw9.0.1 with nmm9.0.1

the issue here is that our dba's want tools they can use from their side, without having to log on to nmc. I'll look into the command line of nsrsqlsv. They are used to RMAN so command line shouldn't be a problem.

14.3K Posts

September 8th, 2016 05:00

I believe documentation states that client initiated backup was not supported. In theory, with SQL federated backup at least, it is not just CLI lines that you need to pick it up, but also some NSR_ variables passed.

53 Posts

October 31st, 2016 03:00

We have documented it as not supported scenario.  in otherwords, It is not recommended to perform the command line backup of SQL AAG backups.  This is to make sure to honor the preferred backup settings of SQL AAG configured in the MS SQL Server.  Hence, I suggest to run the scheduled backup (configured through NMC)

Hope this helps!!

No Events found!