Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 17th, 2012 02:00

I/O device error and tapes full

I have a HP StorageWorks Autoloader 1 / 8 G2 Ultrium 920 LTO3 SCSI controller installed on a server through HP DL380G5 Windows 2003 R2 64bit.
Recently I installed the HP StorageWorks Modular Array P2000 G3 SAS Dual Controller Array LFF. I made ​​several driver updates and about then I can no longer perform full backups and correct. On the NetWorker server is installed 7.4.7.5, whenever I launch a backup fills the LTO3 tape (400Gb/800Gb) with about 20/30Gb giving me an i / o device error with full tape. I thought it was a hardware problem, so I changed the drive, the terminator, SCSI cable and SCSI controllers on, but nothing has changed. I also made cleaning with cleaning tape I inserted the new tape.
Can anyone give me help on what else to check?

1 Attachment

57 Posts

January 17th, 2012 02:00

Try using the native OS drivers and see if that helps. To isolate the issue between the Hardware/Networker, take a backup using the native OS drivers with networker and another one using ntbackup. If both result the same, then you are definetely looking at some issue with the hardware ( firmware or faulty hardware).

1.7K Posts

January 17th, 2012 21:00

Hi Angrafa,

I would also suggest you to check the HP services, in case there is any conflict between HP services and NetWorker services trying to access the same device and causing SCSI reset, however I would do as Mridul said, try to roll back to previous drivers and check if the problem still persists. Ensure RSM is disabled, and TUR is also disabled. You would like to take a look at the System event logs to gather more information about this specific error message, that for me looks like SCSI reset.

Thank you.

Carlos.

2 Posts

January 20th, 2012 01:00

In the end I uninstalled storage and related software and drivers, so everything worked.
Thanks to all

2 Posts

March 4th, 2012 18:00

Hi Angrafa,

I am suffering similar issue in windows 2008 R2 64bit, I noticed your initial post saying you are using 2003 R2 64bit, is it a typo of win2008?

If so, is everything working fine at the moment with HP 1x8 G2 and LTO3 tape drive?

I've tried everything but can not get it work.

I'm using exactly same hardware, HP 1x8 G2 tape lib, LTO3 tape drive, but still using LTO2 tapes though.

Server is also DL380 G5.

Thanks,

Steve

1.7K Posts

March 5th, 2012 00:00

Hi Steve,

Check out my previous post:

I would also suggest you to check the HP services, in case there is any conflict between HP services and NetWorker services trying to access the same device and causing SCSI reset, however I would do as Mridul said, try to roll back to previous drivers and check if the problem still persists.

Ensure RSM is disabled, and TUR is also disabled. You would like to take a look at the System event logs to gather more information about this specific error message, that for me looks like SCSI reset.

I think it will help you as well.

Thank you.

Carlos.

No Events found!