Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 7th, 2015 14:00

I cant update Networker From 8.1.2.3 version

Hello, I have a customer who had networker 7.6.5 and want latest NW version.

The server has Windows 2008 R2 Standard

Well, when I try to update to 8.2 from 7.6.5, I get an error unknown in the app, no logs on daemon.raw

I Update to 8.0.4.4 with not error and from here to 8.1.2.3

Well, when I try to update from here to another hotfix version, allways I get an error.

if I do a clean install and copy databases networker, services do not work, I always get dependency errors.

if I run an update, I always get the error I show in the picture, no matter the version I have used from here I always get the same error, could someone help me?

The update take a long time in starting services

ErrorNetworkerBravo.PNG.png

I opened three cases in EMC without reaching any point.

Could somebody give any help please, I have three days making Install/Uninstall testing

14.3K Posts

September 7th, 2015 15:00

I think I have seen similar topic in the past here, but do not recall what it was.  It might be dependency on NW service or something similar.  Try following:

- uninstall NW

- delete nsr\tmp folder

- delete nsr\res\jobdb

- install NW

If that fails, you may wish to repeat the same, but this time before you try install, remove all references to NW in registry.  Also try to search forum for similar problem - I'm quite sure one or two users already had this in the past.

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2015 04:00

I support Hrvoje's response.

If it still fails you should look at the event viewer and especially check the ..\nsr\logs\daemon.raw file.

They should tell you more.

If this does not help is also good to verify when exactly the issue rises:

- shutdown NetWorker (unfortunately it is starting up automatically)

net stop nsrexecd

- Then try to start the NW client first ...

net start nsrexecd

(this is usually not the problem)

- before you start the NW server

net start nsrd

If necessary, you can modify the registry entry for the NetWorker Server service (nsrd.exe) and append "-D5" (nsrd.exe -D5)

Then check the daemon.raw file again. It now should contain enough info about the problem.

63 Posts

September 8th, 2015 08:00

Hi

I am not sure what is happening there but you know the default directories are changed in 8.1.?

From the Updating Networker to 8.2 from aprevious release manual:

Introduction

This guide provides you with the information to review before you update a NetWorker

host to 8.2.x and provides detailed information about the update procedure on each

supported operating system.

This guides uses NetWorker_install_dir and NMC_install_dir variables to describe the

installation directories. The default installation path for the NetWorker and NMC software

on Windows changed in the NetWorker 8.1.x release. The updating process does not

change the directory location. The following table summarizes the default directory

locations that the NetWorker_install_dir and NMC_install_dir variables represent.

Table 2 Default installation directories for NetWorker and NMC software

Default directory location used in the update process

NetWorker 8.0.x or earlier C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr

NetWorker 8.1.x and later C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\nsr

NMC server 8.0.x or earlier C:\Program Files (x86)\Legato\Management\GST\

NMC server 8.1.x or later C:\Program Files\EMC NetWorker\Management

2.4K Posts

September 8th, 2015 10:00

It is obvious that about 10 years after the acquisition EMC finally wanted to replace the original company name (Legato) with its own company/product name combination.

Unfortunately, they also took over the old habit and used spaces in the directory name. This is not a problem but could create obstacles later. I guess that's why UNIX/Linux versions avoid such habit ;-)

25 Posts

September 8th, 2015 18:00

Hello, I tried this without positive results

I will check in the forum for similar problem

Thank you, Hrvoje Crvelin

25 Posts

September 9th, 2015 05:00

Hello ottov when I update the Software, Networker keep the current directory

C:\Program Files\Legato\nsr

When I Do a new installation and copy the databases change the directory as you told me, but services never starts

2.4K Posts

September 9th, 2015 06:00

Your statement about the directories made me thinking again ...

So I setup the same scenario myself and verified the update - here is my result:

1. The 'old' default directories you mentioned are obviously due to an earlier NW version.

NW 8.0.4.4 will already propose the 'EMC' directory names as defaults.

Obviously, your NW installation is much older and has not been installed with NW 8.0.4.4.

2. If you update NW via the NW update method NW will just reuse the same directory as before.

That has never changed.

3. However, if you update 'indirectly' by de-installing/re-installing NW, the install shield will of course propose the

current default directory name. If this has changed you need to adjust it to the old value. Otherwise NW will not find its

databases.

4. As we do not know what exactly is going wrong, may I suggest that you ...

- deinstall NW (this seems already to be the case)

- reinstall NW without NMC into the old directory

- verify that the NW server itself runs fine with "nsrwatch"

- If you have trouble, check the ..\nsr\logs\daemon.raw file for causes.

5. If this runs fine, install NMC.

Maybe you better start here from scratch.

6. Finally and most important: Move your NW installation off your system volume. This is best practice.

- Despite other potential issue, we have seen NW rarely creating a huge number of entries in the log files,

especially in daemon.raw . If your system is powerful enough you will not even notice that ... until your drive has

been filled. This can still happen but you will have really trouble if this appears on your system drive!

- The reason for proposing C: as installation partition is simple: this volume must exist. But using it does not make sense.

No Events found!