JayJay9882
3 Argentium

Re: Incremental Index-Backup

Hi Wallace,

that is god to know.

The schedule in the client ressource of my NetWorker server is set to 'default' which should result in a level 9 index backup for today (only sundays index backups should be full).

If I run your mminfo all of the displayed index backups are fulls:

lvl  client    date       time       name
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:14:50 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:17:02 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:18:29 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:00 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:02 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:05 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:08 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:09 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:11 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:12 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:13 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:15 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:16 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:18 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:23 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:30 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:19:59 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:20:13 index:client
full nw-server 12/14/17 10:20:18 index:client
0 Kudos
MagnusR
1 Copper

Although the backup server is the owner of the index backups. Networker does NOT look at the NW server client resource to determine the level for the index backup.

The level of the client backup determines the level of the index backup for each client's index.

Level full backup results in level full index, level 1-9 in the corresponding level 1-9 for the index backup and incremental backup results in level 9 index backup.

This has changed in NW 9 where the action under "Server db backup" determines the level and retention of the index.

Please add the daemon.raw output I asked for and we will probably get more information in order to resolve this issue.

My guess is that the index backup is promoted to full for some reason. Most often caused by client <-> index name inconsistencies and/or name resolution issues.

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Run the savegrp command with added verbosity or debug for a single client:

savegrp -g group -c client -l incr -D 5 > file

You will probably see the reason saying that no index save set could be found.

0 Kudos
wlee4
3 Argentium

Start with just the following:

savegrp -O -pv group-name

This will process the index and bootstrap savesets only.  Without the -p, it will actually perform the index and boorstrap backup.  The output will show you the saveset, backup level, and pool to be used.  If the index backup shows level=full, then recheck how you have configured your server's client schedule, group's level and schedule, the schedule itself.

You can force it to perform a differential using :   savegrp -O -l 9  -pv group-name, and then compare the output

Index backups are only done at level full and level 9

The bootstrap saveset is always backed up at level=full.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
bingo.1
4 Beryllium

Sorry Wallace, but your statement about the index backup levels ist not correct.

From the NW 8.2 Admin Guide:

bu_level_nw_8x.jpg

This does not solve JayJay's problem but it clarifies expectations.

0 Kudos
wlee4
3 Argentium

thanks bingo...

hmmm.. it does not mention level 1..  ??

0 Kudos
MagnusR
1 Copper

My comment from yesterday is still being moderated so I try again:

Although the backup server is the owner of the index backups. Networker does NOT look at the NW server client resource to determine the level for the index backup.

The level of the client backup determines the level of the index backup for each client's index.

Level full backup results in level full index, level 1-9 in the corresponding level 1-9 for the index backup and incremental backup results in level 9 index backup.

This has changed in NW 9 where the action under "Server db backup" determines the level and retention of the index.

Please add the daemon.raw output I asked for and we will probably get more information in order to resolve this issue.

My guess is that the index backup is promoted to full for some reason. Most often caused by client <-> index name inconsistencies and/or name resolution issues.

0 Kudos
JayJay9882
3 Argentium

Thanks so far for all the help.

I'll try the suggestions and will post it here.

0 Kudos
princeaijaz
2 Bronze

Just check at pool , level is not selected apart from Index and Bootstrap a save sets.

0 Kudos
JayJay9882
3 Argentium

Hi bingo,

the command

savegrp -g group -c client -l incr -D 5

brings this

* client:index Unable to find any full backups of the save set 'client:index' in the media database. Recommending that a full backup be performed.

So you were right here.

But I don't understand why there is no full backup found. I just performed one earlier.

0 Kudos