Highlighted
theoldgeek
1 Nickel

Is it possible to archive files only 60 days after their creation date?

Jump to solution

Hello, I'm looking for ways to archive and remove files only 60 days after their creation date.

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ble1
5 Iridium

Re: Is it possible to archive files only 60 days after their creation date?

Jump to solution

Do you really need backup for 7 years?  If yes (compliance) I bet that you do not need whole DBs, but just part of it.  This is where saving comes from, even you use tapes. So, if you wish to do it smarter, they would need to select/export data which really requires such long protection.  Otherwise, you can do what you said - it will also work just fine.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
ble1
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

You need archiving software - not backup one.  But, if you still insist of abusing NW, you can run find and look for files older than 60 days (are you sure you don't want accessed and not created instead).  With that you build list of files which you feed to save and then at the end, if rc=0 and you can verify them in index, delete them.

theoldgeek
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

I just wanted to know if it was a complicated or costly thing to do. It's a NFS flat directory where Oracle DBas dump their RMAN backup to disk. They want to keep them there for 60 days and want me to move it to tape and delete what I've move to tape. So my easiest way could be that I archive it daily to a DD device (fast restore if needed) with 60days retention and cloning to tape with 7 years retention.

0 Kudos
ble1
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

Do you really need backup for 7 years?  If yes (compliance) I bet that you do not need whole DBs, but just part of it.  This is where saving comes from, even you use tapes. So, if you wish to do it smarter, they would need to select/export data which really requires such long protection.  Otherwise, you can do what you said - it will also work just fine.

0 Kudos
theoldgeek
1 Nickel

Jump to solution

Thanks for your help. Yes those are financial Data backups and retention of 7 years is for compliance to their financial standards.

Regards.

0 Kudos
ble1
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

I also have those, but in my world DBAs are exporting it out (or namely, they export only the part which is applicable) - we do not backup whole DB as there are other things inside as well.  Nevertheless, it should be easy to make it work (and if you are entitled to use nsrarchive command, then you can easily have command remove data which has been backed up by default).

0 Kudos