Start a Conversation

Unsolved

C

4 Posts

June 11th, 2018 09:00

Looking for an elequant way to do grandfather father and son in Networker 9.1

Hi

Ive been asked a relatively straightforward task (if such a thing exists)... basically keep  dailies, weeklies, monthlies and yearlies for different times. i.e.

Daily backups 10 days. 1 full - rest incremental

Weekly backups 5 weeks. full I guess
Monthly backups 15 months. full

Yearly backups 10 years. full

I am getting in a mess of Workflows only allowing 1 group to be added (as I thought the best way would be to separate the workflow for dailys, weeklies etc,and put skip overrides in). Can anyone with experience of Networker 9.1 offer any experienced advice as to how this can be achieved in Networker 9.1? Any help would be appreciated.

They are all on a Data Domain so dedupe should be our friend.

Chris

2.4K Posts

June 11th, 2018 15:00

You could add this but it is pretty unusual and needs appropriate resource configuration.

Or you simply adjust the retention date for each save set later.

116 Posts

June 12th, 2018 02:00

Hi,

I don't know any other way than defining multiple workflows where each action has different retention / complex overrides

yearly (action: skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip):

full first saturday every year

monthly (action: skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip), override:

skip first saturday every year

full first saturday every month

weekly (action: skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, skip, full), override:

skip first saturday every year

skip first saturday every month

daily: action: incr, incr, incr, incr, incr, incr, skip

June 12th, 2018 07:00

Thanks guys, I did think that was the only way oldhercules with the only option that a "group" can belong to only one Workflow and got stuck there. I'm looking at a single work flow with the same as above but with different clone tasks to make it work. Also I was hoping to drop the retentions i.e. not save quite so much for so long (not hold dailiies beyond 8 days) and am playing with that. again any thoughts are really welcome.

June 12th, 2018 08:00

Think I have found my answer as a group can only belong with one work flow and a work flow can only have 1 backup action....

Create a policy, and run the skips as mentioned before... however for weeklies, monthlies run them as clones. Then for yearly, Skip everything but add in the override "exec first sunday every year". Im hoping that works :-) as the backup action and each clone action is seperate, I can set a different retention on each type.

It does seem way more painful than it should be an adding a GUI option for yearlies or add one group in to multiple Work Flows would have helped but cest le vey.

116 Posts

June 12th, 2018 23:00

hm... interesting... I wouldn't say it's elegant (because of duplicating data to achieve additional retention / even if its on DD), but it should work

For a few backup clients it might be OK, but I wouldn't do that for hundreds of servers.

Keep your fingers crossed for EMC to keep the multiple clone action feature in the next years

2.4K Posts

June 13th, 2018 07:00

What exactly do you mean by 'multiple clone action'? - Parallel cloning the same save set(s) to multiple pools? - Such is already available from the Admin GUI (simply define a workflow with at least 2 concurrent clone actions).

Whether it makes sense depends on a bunch of other factors. So you must carefully look at your scenario.

And of course you could use scripted cloning.

Of course such does not really make sense if you clone from tape ...

116 Posts

June 13th, 2018 12:00

You can have 1 backup but multiple clone actions within a workflow. Each action has its own schedule and retention settings. I think Chris wants to tune the schedules to start inly one clone action (weekly/monty/yearly) to achieve the desired retention. He wrote that everything is on DD, that’s why I wrote it’s not so nice solution to duplicate data to trick the retention settings.

No Events found!