Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 9th, 2013 07:00

MSSQL Copy Restore

Hi

I want to undergo a Copy restore .I want to clarify a few things.i have a server X from which i need to restore a previous database instance.I have server Y in which i have Networker Module for SQL Server and select the copy restore option and we select another server ie X from which i have to restore the database.Now i select the database and go to its properties.In the files tab there is a files/destination tab.If i select the files then a window opens with 4 tabs source file name ,source file destination destination file and destination file location.

My doubt is that whether the source file destination is the sql instance to be restored from the server X and the destination file destination is the path of the server Y where the sql instance will get restored.

Kindly clear my doubt and if i am going wrong on any step to perform a copy restore kindly suggest

December 9th, 2013 13:00

Firstly, welcome to the forums, and above all, thank you for being an EMC customer.

Please consider moving this question as-is (no need to recreate) to the proper forum for maximum visibility.  Questions written to the users' own "Discussions" space don't get the same amount of attention and can go unanswered for a long time.

You can do so by selecting "Move" under ACTIONS along the upper-right.  Then search for and select: "NetWorker Support Forum".

NetWorker Support Forum

14.3K Posts

December 10th, 2013 10:00

I do not remember seeing source, but under files tab at bottom you have destination which you should adjust to whatever path you use on destination server.

9 Posts

December 16th, 2013 11:00

No when u are at the properties tab there are 3 tab 1.General 2. Files 3.Restore Time.Now in the Files Tab at the bottom there is a File/Destination table.If we click any of the files a new Tab opens and it shows Source File name ,Source Location ,Destination File name and Destination Location.My question is during during Copy restore does this  source is the same source file ie the server location from which it will restore and the the destiantion is the server on which it will restore

14.3K Posts

December 16th, 2013 14:00

Which version of SQL module (and build) are you using?

9 Posts

December 16th, 2013 20:00

Networker Module for SQL Module 5.2.2 ,The SQL server is 2005 Enterprise Version and Networker Version is 7.6.3

14.3K Posts

December 17th, 2013 04:00

OK, checked.  It is rather straight forward... here is example:

ecn200.PNG.png

You are talking about above.Now, if you double click one of those destination paths you get:

ecn201.PNG.png

You should set your destination to whatever it is your destination should be here.  By default it will use same path as original database and the only difference will be that files (ldf and bdf) will have CopyOf as name. 

9 Posts

December 17th, 2013 10:00

Thank u for your reply.But i have one doubt as i have never done a MSSQL Restore.

When i am doing a Copy Restore i am choosing the source server from an another server .So in the above snapshot is the source file location is the source which i am browsing and the destination file location is the destiation from where i am browsing the source instance and it will get restored in the location of the Destination file on the destination server from where i am browsing the source server .

I hope my query is clear .I have a server X from where i backupp SQL database .Now i need to restore a database instance but i cannot run a restore on that server as it is production server.So i have another server Y which also has NM for SQL and i am browsing the X DB Instance .So now take this situation and confirm me about the source file location and the destination file location.

14.3K Posts

December 17th, 2013 12:00

I already confirmed that, but here we ago again

Source: server A

Target: server B

Steps:

- go to B

- run restore

- select source

- select destination

- select path in for destination

- run it