brastedd
3 Zinc

Migrating Networker to new hardware and OS + upgrade to 18.2

We are replacing our Networker server with new hardware, and also updating Networker from its current 9.2.1 to the latest 18.2. The OS will change from Windows Server 2012 Standard (old server) to Windows Server 2016 (new server).

My current thinking is to upgrade to 18.2 on the existing hardware first, take a backup, then do a Networker disaster recovery to a new installation of Networker 18.2 on the new hardware. Is that the right way to go about the migration or is there an easier way?

I have some questions around the migration/update:

1. Will the new server have to have the same name as the old? Will it have to have the same IP?

2. Are there any problems restoring the Networker backup from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2016?

Thanks.

Regards, Dominic

0 Kudos
5 Replies
bingo.1
4 Ruthenium

Re: Migrating Networker to new hardware and OS + upgrade to 18.2

You way is following the recommended procedure.

You can also copy the important (database) directories but such needs experience and a deeper product knowledge.

To answer your questions:

1. Will the new server have to have the same name as the old? Will it have to have the same IP?

-  It must have the same hostname (FQDN)

-  It should have the same IP

-  It will have a different SID and you must apply for new licenses/auth codes depending your licensing

method.

2. Are there any problems restoring the Networker backup from Windows Server 2012 to Windows Server 2016?

Not that I am aware of.

0 Kudos
Jit M
1 Copper

Hi Dominic,

I also want to migrate the networker server from Windows 2008r2 to Windows 2016 and upgrade to 18.2.

Can you help me with the documents that your referring for this?

Warm Regards,

Jit

0 Kudos
brastedd
3 Zinc

Jit, I just used the Networker 18.2 admin guide. You can find it on the DellEMC website. Networker 18.2 is not supported on Windows Server 2008 R2, so you may have to upgrade to a lower version first, then migrate, then upgrade to 18.2. Support can probably advise you what the best path is.
0 Kudos
clebeuva
2 Iron

eddRe: Migrating Networker to new hardware and OS + upgrade to 18.2

Hi @brastedd did you keep the same ip and hostname? I'm looking at doing the migration to Windows 2016 but will have to use new ip and name.

0 Kudos
bingo.1
4 Ruthenium

Re: eddRe: Migrating Networker to new hardware and OS + upgrade to 18.2

The IP change is what you need to deal with - this will at least affect your license. But this is a minor issue.

Changing the hostname is not supported as a 'standard' solution because the metadata is still tight to the old hostname later. And of course all the resources and scripts also need adjustments.

However there might be a possibility together with EMC support. Please get in touch with them for verification.

0 Kudos