Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 13th, 2012 10:00

Migration from Networker Server 7.6.3.4 to 8.0 on new hardware

In a couple of weeks, we will be migrating from 7.6.3.x to 8.0.  I will be receiving a new backup server and a tape library.  The backup server will have Windows 2008 R2 and Networker 8.0 installed.  The new backup server will have a new name and IP address.  My current backup server is Windows 2003 R2 with Networker 7.6.3.4.  I need to find out what is the best method to transfer my client configuration, media database and indexes to the new server.  The new server will be used to do restores in case there is a need for a tape restore.  The old server and tape unit will be decommissioned once the new environment goes into production.

Thanks.

August 13th, 2012 21:00

Hi,

You can also use Networker Procedure Generator to list the steps which needs to be followed while migration.

The procedure generator is available in powerlink

Home > Support > Product and Diagnostic Tools > Procedure Generators > NetWorker Procedure Generator

326 Posts

August 13th, 2012 20:00

if you are getting a new server, install NW8,win2k8r2 on that and keep it fresh....

retain the old server for restore purposes until retention expire...

clients can be exported and imported(restore)...keep the clients SIDs in safe place

48 Posts

August 14th, 2012 04:00

Thierry101 -  The plan to keep the new environment fresh and separate would be nice if my retention period was very short.  Some of my clients have a 1 year retention period and the old server cannot be kept for that long.  I will have to return the old server as soon as the new one goes into production.

Sivakiran - I will definitely use the NPG to get some guidelines.

Thanks to both for providing feedback.

63 Posts

August 14th, 2012 05:00

Hi

as you are starting a new enviroment I recommend the Performance Optimisation Plannig guide. It can save you some work later on.

Best regards Otto

326 Posts

August 14th, 2012 15:00

These would your key readings as many changed by architecture in NW8...can be found in powerlink...we are not upgrading now...will wait for NW8SP1 end of the year....good luck and share your experience..

NPG,

Release Notes

TECHNICAL GUIDANCE TO UPGRADING

NetWorker JobsDB Performance Technical Note

No Events found!